Gear pockets with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen some glue on options, but am worried my nice Aqualung suit won't stretch right after gluing the pocket.

I have 2 nice Aqualug suits with 2 glue on Highland pockets each. You stretch it some with cardboard inside the leg when you glue it on. Stretching/nonstretching is a non issue wearing it and prefer them way better than shorts.

Similarly a sidemount-style butt pouch would work for all the secondary stuff.

Further to my reply above--which was basically that when not diving a drysuit with pockets I prefer a vertical bellows pocket on the harness waist strap--I had also tried pocket shorts. I felt they didn't size well for me--the larger size felt too baggy and the smaller size was difficult to don/doff. And it's one more item of gear to bring, don/doff, rinse after diving, etc. Did I really want to don/doff not just my wetsuit but now also pocket shorts on a Caribbean trip, where the non-geeky majority are looking comfortable and carefree in thin wetsuits or boardshorts? I ditched the pocket shorts before a Bonaire trip, where I knew I'd be donning and doffing gear several times a day, and adopted the bellows pocket.

I also finally had a chance to try the 3mm Deep6 wetsuit with the integrated pockets (mentioned above by others) that I had bought some time ago. As much as the pockets seem like a great idea, the suit felt a lot bulkier and more annoying to don/doff than a typical wetsuit (duh) or even my drysuit. Not to get off topic, but for a 3mm wetsuit it's, uh, sturdy. I don't really even need two pockets for the kind of warm-water vacation diving I do. No, for me the answer to my need for a single pocket for tropical trips was the bellows zip pocket on the harness waist strap.

Some of you fellers must be fairly big around because none of those would fit on my waist strap. I have the DiveRite bellows pocket, an older version similar to this one:

DGX Gears Vertical Velcro Pocket

And I install it (when needed) on an extra cam band and put it on the right side of my tank down low so I can reach back to access it. But if you have the available girth then I suppose it would go on the waist?

James

Im cheap so I got the $25 DGX pocket pictured here (although they sent me a Mares product, but it looked very similar).

I guess Im not that big, to fit it on my waist strap, I have the buckle not in the middle, but towards the left. Thats OK, bc the buckle on my weight belt is towards the right.

Some of you fellers must be fairly big around because none of those would fit on my waist strap. I have the DiveRite bellows pocket, an older version similar to this one:

DGX Gears Vertical Velcro Pocket

And I install it (when needed) on an extra cam band and put it on the right side of my tank down low so I can reach back to access it. But if you have the available girth then I suppose it would go on the waist?

James

36" waist, so not small but not enormous either. All depends on how long you have the left side. You're old enough that you were probably diving in the era where the left side was long enough to actually hold the canister light in place and reached all the way past your right hip bone. I have my buckle go through the crotch strap but stop just short of my hip bone and that should provide more than enough real estate for even your skinny butt to put a pocket on!

36" waist, so not small but not enormous either. All depends on how long you have the left side. You're old enough that you were probably diving in the era where the left side was long enough to actually hold the canister light in place and reached all the way past your right hip bone. I have my buckle go through the crotch strap but stop just short of my hip bone and that should provide more than enough real estate for even your skinny butt to put a pocket on!

LOL. Well, I think my Wranglers are 29 inch waist. Cowboy cut, official 13MWZ Wranglers. I got some 30 waist for fat days. I have my waist belt buckle fitted to the left strap and it goes over to the RH side all the way to the hip, the crotch strap is in the middle and on the left side I have my Tekna knife. I could displace the knife and put the pocket there and it might not push my crotch strap over. I do give up some room for these and when I use them instead of a weight belt my buckle goes nearly to it.:

Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

Pockets are a problem and normally I do not need to carry much but to suit some Ops when solo I need the pocket on my tank to hold all of the solo kit they sometimes demand.

James

I give you an A+ for effort but that front mounted XDeep pouch reminds me of a scene from the Jimmy Neutron cartoon where Carl proposes something that Jimmy and Sheen just aren’t down with.

Of course, if you’re going for a 16th century fashion statement, that is a pretty chic codpiece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom