Reef hook attachment on SP Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Svart

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I hope it is the right sub-forum to ask this.

I am, normally, heading for a dive safari in the Maldives this weekend. I bought a reef hook as it seems that it might be needed for some dives. I've never used one until now. I've read that the hook should be attached to the BCD in a central spot, which makes sense.

My question is: for those of you using a Hydros, where do you attach your hook?
Because the D rings are all located on the shoulder straps or under the weight pockets and I don't think it' would be a good idea to attach it to one of the plastic buckles.

Thanks in advance!

Throw a crotch strap on it and snap off to the DPV ring.

That's a good idea, thank you!

But I was wondering if there would be a way without adding more things to the BCD, maybe.

That's a good idea, thank you!

But I was wondering if there would be a way without adding more things to the BCD, maybe.

you want to clip the reef hook more or less as close to your center of mass as possible. Anything off to the side or too high is going to give you some wonky-ass trim and you're going to end up like a kite in a windstorm.

you want to clip the reef hook more or less as close to your center of mass as possible. Anything off to the side or too high is going to give you some wonky-ass trim and you're going to end up like a kite in a windstorm.

Yup! that's exactly what I would like to avoid! :D

I saw a video on Youtube of someone who has his hook attached to the plastic buckle at the end of a shoulder strap. But it seems to be a pretty bad idea for trim and because it could pull the shoulder strap tighter.

Unfortunately, I don't think the extra belt provided with the BCD (the one without the weight pockets) has a crotch strap.

Yup! that's exactly what I would like to avoid! :D

I saw a video on Youtube of someone who has his hook attached to the plastic buckle at the end of a shoulder strap. But it seems to be a pretty bad idea for trim and because it could pull the shoulder strap tighter.

Unfortunately, I don't think the extra belt provided with the BCD (the one without the weight pockets) has a crotch strap.

no, it doesn't but you can make one yourself with some webbing, t-slides, and a side release buckle. or just buy a pre-fab. easy peasy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom