Gear pockets with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following and supporting @tbone1004 here with a deep dive on my pocket journey.

I totally exhausted the technique of external leg pockets on a belt. On land? No problem…I can run, jump, crawl, get in and out of vehicles all day, kit up, kit down - none of that bothered me on land for work. I adapted the technique to diving and made it work for awhile (using dive specific kit) but it never really felt quite as efficient as the kit I used on land. I’m fit and can work past inefficiencies but I could feel the drag on my kicking. Some French dive buddies liked what I put together and adopted it but I knew there had to be something better.

Shifted to shorts and went all in and bought the Apeks shorts. I’ve used them a half dozen times. The pockets are great but over a thin wetsuit they’re sorta overkill. It feels like wearing a giant winter parka over a thin t-shirt. Plus it’s just another piece of kit to don.

Went to a D6G wetsuit with integral pockets. Bliss.

When I dive warm water and the D6G wetsuit is too much but I want to take some kit with me, I definitely use a pocket on the waist belt of my BP/W.

I’ve been through several Dive Rite pockets.

The DR leg pocket was a return item. Same as you…no thanks...BTDT.

DR’s all mesh mask pocket is great. I have a couple I use for pressure-proof hydration and nutrition bottles on crazy long dives. But they’re not sold anymore and for regular divers you’re ONLY getting a DSMB and a modest spool in there and nothing else.

DR’s new, larger waist belt pouches are nice but the material is awfully thin and they don’t have a rigid backing so they tend to be sloppy unless completely full. I can’t do sloppy when jumping out of an aircraft or jumping into the water. I understood entanglement hazards long before GI3 made it his axe to grind.

I don’t have the Halcyon pockets but a dive buddy does and they’re legit like @tbone1004 says.

There is another option out there (link below) that I’ll probably buy for my wife and me.

Accessory Pocket for Belt - Subgravity

Putting a pocket on your waist belt is a great option saving you from drag on your kicking and having to put on another piece of kit while providing you essential kit at your fingertips.

Good luck with whatever you choose but know there may be some trial and error until you find what you really like.

What are you trying to carry besides a dsmb with spool?

I keep a lot of "find me" stuff in my pocket. Signal mirror, dedicated light, green laser, a folding knife for cutting rope, etc. Except for the folding knife if I am reaching into that pocket things have gone pear shaped.

Some of you fellers must be fairly big around because none of those would fit on my waist strap. I have the DiveRite bellows pocket, an older version similar to this one:

DGX Gears Vertical Velcro Pocket

And I install it (when needed) on an extra cam band and put it on the right side of my tank down low so I can reach back to access it. But if you have the available girth then I suppose it would go on the waist?

James

My Mom tells me I’m just husky.

upload_2021-9-22_21-53-41.jpeg

Some of you fellers must be fairly big around because none of those would fit on my waist strap.
LOL. I dive warm water with the same steel backplate I dive cold, which happens to be perfect weight for my 3mm wet suit + AL80, and balanced enough to be safe without needing ditchable weight. So that leave all the real estate on my right side waist band open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom