Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

break in time is good to know. I’ve rented three different drysuits over eight total dives, so not extensive experience by any means. They were all to varying degrees of poor fit.

I’ll experiment with undersock thickness and see if that takes up the space, then try to contact and see if they or I messed up.

off hand, any tips of US-side drysuit shops who could swap socks?

thanks!!

@Dive Right In Scuba swapped boots to socks for me on a suit a few years ago. The only thing with doing that (no matter who you send the suit to) is, one I would recommend to get the socks you want first and make sure they are the right size, then send them with the suit to have the work done. And, two, get compressed neoprene socks. When I had mine done at DRiS, the only socks they had were regular neoprene, not compressed. I know you can get the compressed neoprene socks from Seaskin. DRiS may have them now, as well. I don't know.

Also, I know that Santi suits and Fourth Element suits that need repair in the U.S. get sent to some third party place in the U.S.. In Connecticut, maybe? You could find out where that is and that would be another alternative for getting the work done.

Or, if Gamble's is still open and doing business down in Florida, they have an excellent reputation. But, it seems like I heard it might have shut down or been sold or something. Not sure.

For those of you that got the plastic zipper and zipper cover zipper. Does your Inner zipper open completely?

The opening end of my inner zipper is totally covered and obstructed by the outer zipper:

View attachment 682995
YES. I have the same problem. I realized as I was looking at it later that the zipper length might be fine but I can’t possibly open the zipper due to the cover’s zipper.

YES. I have the same problem. I realized as I was looking at it later that the zipper length might be fine but I can’t possibly open the zipper due to the cover’s zipper.

This to me feels like a key flaw that will shorten the life span of the inner zipper.

There is actually a zipper saver strap installed on the inside of the zipper to prevent it from being split too much. But it only engaged ONLY WHEN the zipper is fully open.

So now the zipper is free to be stretched/bent to 180 degrees, 200 degrees, and... 360 degrees at which point damages will occur.
AND the zipper saver strap will NEVER be engaged for the lifespan of these two zippers

Curious @stuartv is yours like this too?

For those of you that got the plastic zipper and zipper cover zipper. Does your Inner zipper open completely?

The opening end of my inner zipper is totally covered and obstructed by the outer zipper:

View attachment 682995

On my suit, the outer zipper stops the inner zipper about 1/2" short of being completely open. The zippers are installed such that they are far back on the shoulder, thus, I have not had a problem donning and doffing the suit. If your suit has a telescoping torso, make sure the crotch strap is unbuckled, and you slide the torso part of the suit up, prior to donning and doffing.

This to me feels like a key flaw that will shorten the life span of the inner zipper.

There is actually a zipper saver strap installed on the inside of the zipper to prevent it from being split too much. But it only engaged ONLY WHEN the zipper is fully open.

So now the zipper is free to be stretched/bent to 180 degrees, 200 degrees, and... 360 degrees at which point damages will occur.
AND the zipper saver strap will NEVER be engaged for the lifespan of these two zippers

Curious @stuartv is yours like this too?

I am 99% sure I can get my (inner) zipper all the way open (past the zipper saver strap), but I have not walked out to the garage to look at it since these latest posts. If I can remember later, I will look at it to verify.

It may be dependent on how tall you are. I am 6' 1". Possibly for people that are shorter than I am, they don't make the zipper cover long enough?

As for protecting the main zipper and the zipper saver strap, it seems like maybe having the zipper cover zipper a little more closed than the main zipper would be adequate to protect the main zipper, even without getting the main zipper open all the way to the zipper saver strap.

I have Trigons in both my suits and like them a lot. Low profile. No moving parts. Nothing to open or close. Never had a problem with either one.

Back
Top Bottom