Going From Tdi An/dp To Helitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know that there is any hard limit. It would just be my instructor's judgment. But, we are both part of the same scuba "club" if you will, so I expect to be diving with him at least occasionally, outside of any class. So, he'll have a pretty good idea of how much I've been diving and whether I've been getting stale and need to do a full course.

So, yes, my current plan in effect is just wait for him to get the instructor cert and then get Helitrox.

My post was really to bring out the issue that I think the current TDI standards would make more sense if the Adv Nitrox and Helitrox certs as standalone courses did not have an in-water component.

Per your original few posts, after emailing TDI you did not believe there to be a time limit. This is what I understood to be the case. My mistake.

Regardless, again, per TDI, this is not an option anyway.

I don't have anymore information for you so I suggest you contact TDI directly if this is something you want to clarify with them yourself.

Per your original few posts, after emailing TDI you did not believe there to be a time limit. This is what I understood to be the case. My mistake.

Regardless, again, per TDI, this is not an option anyway.

I don't have anymore information for you so I suggest you contact TDI directly if this is something you want to clarify with them yourself.

Right. At the time, I was not an instructor and did not understand the course standards - not that my understanding is perfect now!. But, yeah, back when I started this thread, I did not understand that there is a time limit on completing training from when you start. As in, from when you start AN/DP to when you potentially complete Helitrox. 2 years would definitely not work.

Right. At the time, I was not an instructor and did not understand the course standards - not that my understanding is perfect now!. But, yeah, back when I started this thread, I did not understand that there is a time limit on completing training from when you start. As in, from when you start AN/DP to when you potentially complete Helitrox. 2 years would definitely not work.

Totally understandable. And I agree on the two year gap. I was just hopeful!

Here's the answer, straight from the source in case anyone else was wondering. You are still required to have two additional dives with the Helitrox class, so I'd have to pay my instructor for one more day of teaching + eLearning code (and I assume, the helium for the two dives - although I don't suppose it would matter if they were below or above 100ft in depth considering each class only requires two dives below 100 feet per course standards).

So, I am not quite sure who gave you the information about there being a path to Helitrox Diver without any additional in water time. However, this is not actually true. We have an upgrade path if you already have decompression procedures that makes it so that you only have to complete two dives and the additional academic work to complete the upgrade. Unfortunately, though we do not have any administrative path though. I am attaching a copy of the Helitrox Diver course standards to this email for you in case you and your instructor would like to review them and determine whether you would like to proceed with the upgrade path to become a Helitrox diver. There are definitely benefits as you point out to being able to include helium to reduce your equivalent nitrogen depth. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Yours in diving,
Wes Kilgore
Training and Membership Services
SDI/TDI/ERDI

Back
Top Bottom