Ever wonder why your carry on gets searched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As they should be. I go fishing where the fish are biting, not in some random place in the ocean.

All essential dive gear goes in my carry on, BC, regs, primary mask etc.

Usually I'm bringing a stainless bpw and I figured that's why it always gers searched.

Today I'm bringing a regular back inflate and yup I got searched. Turns out it's the regs the I was told parts of them show up wonky on the xray.
i have always been told it's the regulators, they look weird on xray

yeah, try traveling with a Pakistani wife with the last name Khan and a teenage son with a wannabe beard and long hair like a taliban. random search, my ass. Our daughter got swabbed for bomb residue when she was 11 months old.

Funny part of it is, though, that I get searched and pulled aside almost every time we are traveling within Pakistan. We even got followed around up north by ISI and all the check points on the highway knew I was coming.

I've had my carry on (containing mask, regs., camera, computer etc.)searched about 2/3 of the time, with the other 1/3 being "scuba?" or nothing said at all.
One semi funny experience- the ( I think new to the job) agent searched my carry on, held up my dive computer and asked "what is this?"
I told him it was a computer, he told me to turn it on.
I did. When the self diagnostic went into the countdown phase ("10, 9, 8, etc....) he got really nervous, looked scared, and I thought that he might pass out. Fortunately, a supervisor was close by, came over, and said "have a nice trip".

I've had my carry on (containing mask, regs., camera, computer etc.)searched about 2/3 of the time, with the other 1/3 being "scuba?" or nothing said at all.
One semi funny experience- the ( I think new to the job) agent searched my carry on, held up my dive computer and asked "what is this?"
I told him it was a computer, he told me to turn it on.
I did. When the self diagnostic went into the countdown phase ("10, 9, 8, etc....) he got really nervous, looked scared, and I thought that he might pass out. Fortunately, a supervisor was close by, came over, and said "have a nice trip".

Awesome.

One time while crossing a land border the girl there said they want to cut open my soft weights because they show up as black blanks on the machine... i told her yeah, led does that and no way in hell you are cutting them open because that will ruin them... after some arguing and her calling her superior to sniff them with a dog they let me go

But spent easily 45 minutes arguing with them about it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom