Ever wonder why your carry on gets searched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to do a full contact combat group using ratan wood for the simulated weapons.

One time coming on base my car got searched....

7 people got called over each a higher rank before one gave me a big thumbs up.

on a recent trip to mexico they took 3 of my daughter's 7 containers of play-doh. not sure why 4 was ok but 7 was not.

Most of our travel over the past two years has been to/from Cozumel. I always have the same things in carry on (regulator, camera, computer, batteries for camera, mask, odds & ends). It gets searched about a third of the time. No rhyme or reason that I have found. Last time Mexican security saw three allen wrenches and confiscated them - so that explains that time. But most of the time they search and nothing is removed. Still an unknown for me.

is always the regulator that rings the x-ray

Big hunks of brass (regs) and lithium show up as a solid mass on the scanners.. they have to search to see what it is... as they can’t see ‘around’ it.

If you take them out and place them in the bin, the X-ray tech can see what they are visually to (usually) avoid a search.. or make it easier...

Lots of the connecting airport techs are pretty good at judging if your a diver or not before you get there to verify what it is..

_R

I am not sure we can ever identify one single thing that prompts a search. Seems to be as variable as the people manning the monitor.

Eric’s carryon and mine are essentially identical (Freedom backplates with wings, regs, computers, mask, reel and smb, light, video gear). Mine are rarely searched. He is about 50/50. Over the years I can recall my bag being searched 3 times. Once for a forgotten bottle of diet coke, once I don’t recall anything specific and just recently for the ring and bolt snap that attaches my reel and bag.

What I find more odd is that Eric is searched more often and frequently triggered by something that is also in my bag.

I am not sure we can ever identify one single thing that prompts a search. Seems to be as variable as the people manning the monitor.

Eric’s carryon and mine are essentially identical (Freedom backplates with wings, regs, computers, mask, reel and smb, light, video gear). Mine are rarely searched. He is about 50/50. Over the years I can recall my bag being searched 3 times. Once for a forgotten bottle of diet coke, once I don’t recall anything specific and just recently for the ring and bolt snap that attaches my reel and bag.

What I find more odd is that Eric is searched more often and frequently triggered by something that is also in my bag.
If I were walking in an alley, would I be more likely to be cautious around Eric or you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom