Latent mask squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MollyMiller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to diving. I'm not scuba certified yet, and I'm learning how to freedive. Last Thursday I went freediving to ~35 feet for the first time and didn't equalize my mask. I noticed pink spots and blotches on the skin around my eyes afterward. Two days later, some bloody spots in my eye appeared. Looks like petechiae based on online images. There's no pain, but I'm confused as to why it didn't happen right after the dive. The shape of the blood spots has changed slightly since yesterday.

Has anyone ever heard of mask squeeze symptoms that don't show up for 2 days? Should I be concerned or will this resolve itself? How long will the red spots last?

The blood spots are a most likely subconjunctival hemorrhage. Generally not harmful and will go away over a few weeks. However if you have any loss of vision or pain you should consult a doctor. And of course be sure to equalize your mask in the future.

Hi, I'm new to diving. I'm not scuba certified yet, and I'm learning how to freedive. Last Thursday I went freediving to ~35 feet for the first time and didn't equalize my mask. I noticed pink spots and blotches on the skin around my eyes afterward. Two days later, some bloody spots in my eye appeared. Looks like petechiae based on online images. There's no pain, but I'm confused as to why it didn't happen right after the dive. The shape of the blood spots has changed slightly since yesterday.

Has anyone ever heard of mask squeeze symptoms that don't show up for 2 days? Should I be concerned or will this resolve itself? How long will the red spots last?

I have not heard of latent mask squeeze. It's usually obvious within a short time. But, that's not to say that it can't exist. Are you on anticoagulants by chance?

Best regards,
DDM

I have not heard of latent mask squeeze. It's usually obvious within a short time. But, that's not to say that it can't exist. Are you on anticoagulants by chance?

Best regards,
DDM
Nope, no anticoagulants or medication that I would think could affect my blood. I was wearing contacts during the dive, could that make any difference?

The blood spots are a most likely subconjunctival hemorrhage. Generally not harmful and will go away over a few weeks. However if you have any loss of vision or pain you should consult a doctor. And of course be sure to equalize your mask in the future.
Thank you! Yes, this will be a lesson I won't forget.

Nope, no anticoagulants or medication that I would think could affect my blood. I was wearing contacts during the dive, could that make any difference?

What type of contacts were they?

Best regards,
DDM

I got a red eye almost immediately and looked like Terminator in T2. The US Customs officer even asked me "Are you OK, Sir?" when we were coming back but other than weird looks no other symptoms developed. My eye turned yellow soon, then returned to normal.

I got a red eye almost immediately and looked like Terminator in T2. The US Customs officer even asked me "Are you OK, Sir?" when we were coming back but other than weird looks no other symptoms developed. My eye turned yellow soon, then returned to normal.
Lol that's terrifying. I didn't know it could turn yellow!

Acuvue Oasys 1-day for astigmatism. They're the soft daily ones. I kept them in for the rest of the day after the dive, but haven't worn any since.

Ok, thanks. I would keep an eye on it, so to speak. This would be an unusual presentation for mask squeeze, but maybe it was so mild that the hemorrhages were very small and took some time to appear. The mask squeezes I've seen look like the aftermath of an MMA fight.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom