DIR- GUE Spool to SMB attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As does everyone else in GUE when doing actual dives. It is not attached during classes, like in the video, to help increase task loading, etc. to challenge a students ability to keep buoyancy and trim while doing something else, etc.

I thought one of the key principles of GUE was to train the way you dive and dive the way you train and to strive to keep protocols and gear configurations as uniform and simplistic as possible?

Well, not everyone. I still have my SMB and spool separate, as do some others.

Most of the Tech 2/Cave 2 people I know though, have theirs together.

Once you've put them together hundreds of times in various conditions without losing position, it really isn't necessary to have them together all the time.

One of the reasons that we practice putting them together is that if we ever come across one that's not put together, it won't throw us for a loop and we'll attach them effortlessly. As far as I know, there's no expectation that they stay unattached in the pocket after training, but there is an expectation to maintain skills. Maybe one of the GUE Instructors on here can clarify.

As far as simplicity, the simplest thing would be to keep them attached and ready in a pocket.

I have no time attaching or clipping spools underwater, diving and drilling have nothing in common

full.jpg

I thought one of the key principles of GUE was to train the way you dive and dive the way you train and to strive to keep protocols and gear configurations as uniform and simplistic as possible?

Principals don't trump common sense. For example, if you are hot dropping a wreck and you miss it because the current is unexpectedly heavy, are you really wanting to spend unnecessary extra time fiddling around putting it together? Don't you want to get it up as fast as possible? Basic common sense dictates yes. And which is the simplest option? Of course having it together is the simpler option.

Well, not everyone. I still have my SMB and spool separate, as do some others.
I guess it depends of what kind of diving you are doing. Nobody around here leaves them separated, for the reasons stated above.

As does everyone else in GUE when doing actual dives. It is not attached during classes, like in the video, to help increase task loading, etc. to challenge a students ability to keep buoyancy and trim while doing something else, etc.

I indeed keep it attached during dives where it might be necessary to deploy the SMB. During training or if I intend to do a skills and drills dive I do not pre-attach the spool and SMB.

Principals don't trump common sense. For example, if you are hot dropping a wreck and you miss it because the current is unexpectedly heavy, are you really wanting to spend unnecessary extra time fiddling around putting it together? Don't you want to get it up as fast as possible? Basic common sense dictates yes. And which is the simplest option? Of course having it together is the simpler option.

I guess it depends of what kind of diving you are doing. Nobody around here leaves them separated, for the reasons stated above.

Thanks, I NEVER use a spool. I just carry a reel and smb if I think I will have to deploy from the deep. Sometimes it takes a lot more line than a spool will hold to send an smb up from deeper wrecks. Does GUE recommend reels over spools when common sense says a spool is not going to work from the deep in currents, as in the example you mentioned.

Surprising to some, but GUE's "principles" do leave some things open to flexibility. Some divers prefer to keep the spool and SMB pre-attached. Other divers prefer to leave them separated for various reasons. One reason I think I recall an instructor mentioning was flexibility; maybe when doing a certain kind of dive a diver might anticipate a possible use for the spool other than attached to the SMB.

Does GUE recommend reels over spools when common sense says a spool is not going to work from the deep in currents, as in the example you mentioned.
Who cares what GUE recommends? Separating spool and smb in GUE training makes sense. In the real world, do what works best. I do, don't care about the "GUE rules" if they don't work for my specific diving.

I suspect Jarod Jablonski would agree whith that :D

AJ:
Who cares what GUE recommends? Separating spool and smb in GUE training makes sense. In the real world, do what works best. I do, don't care about the "GUE rules" if they don't work for my specific diving.

I suspect Jarod Jablonski would agree whith that :D

I agree with your sentiment, but it's a fair question to ask whether GUE has an opinion one way or the other, since this thread is in the DIR sub-forum and tagged "DIR-GUE."

I agree with your sentiment, but it's a fair question to ask whether GUE has an opinion one way or the other, since this thread is in the DIR sub-forum and tagged "DIR-GUE."
You're right. What I am trying to make clear is that GUE has rules that apply only in class, not in real diving. Some rules apply always, but can be bended if neccesary. In this particular case I know nothing of any other rule than "do what is neccesary to dive save". If a reel is the right solution with attached smb, no problem. GUE is less strict and more practical than many people like to beleive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom