Which Pro valve to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a pro valve for my pony tank but not sure which one to buy. I guess the availability/cost of rebuild kit would be a big factor.

What do you guys recommend?

Edit: looks like Thermo 3442 standalone valve should be good? I see DGX and leisurepro stocking the kits as well

I like Thermos, for an annual rebuild you need two orings, one copper dasher and one plastic bushing, all are standard and can be purchased from generic suppliers. Seats last for some time. That plastic bushing also lasts few years. There is another plastic washer under the knob but that lasts forever.

Thermos use a crush washer to seal the bonnet nut. The DGX valves use an oring to seal the bonnet nut.

The DGX ones are much less and a better value IMO

I prefer the DGX Pro valves. I’ve used them in my HP100s for years. Great valves at a great price. I also have three Thermo pro valves and one Sherwood pro valve on my four AL tanks because that is what they came with. Two are my two AL40 pony/deco bottles. Those are great valves too. They all do the trick. But when buying valves the DGX always win for me due to the better cost/benefit ratio.

Of the three types my least favorite is the Sherwood because the burst assembly isn’t recessed like it is on the DGX & Thermo pro valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom