Land-Based Palau or N. Red Sea LoB?

Dec. Trip: Land-Based Palau or Red Sea Liveaboard

• Palau

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Egypt

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo Air

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, everyone. I've just had some days open up in December (depart 12/15 and return by 12/24) but I'm not flexible enough to make a Palau LoB trip. However, I can make a LoB trip out of Hurghada and do Brothers-Daedalus-Elphinstone.

Assuming cost is similar, which would you choose - land-based Palau or Egypt LoB and why? Thanks in advance!

Do the LOB, to do land based in Palau means 45-60 minutes rides to and from the dive sites in smaller boats. The exception is if you stay on Peleliu but to stay there you are going to be doing an additional day of travel on both ends.

Do the LOB, to do land based in Palau means 45-60 minutes rides to and from the dive sites in smaller boats. The exception is if you stay on Peleliu but to stay there you are going to be doing an additional day of travel on both ends.

Thank you. Friends at LDS said same thing. My mind is made up. Red Sea it is.

Third option would be LoB in Palau.
Make absolutely no sense to dive Palau land-based. Done that and never again.

Agreed, and that would be my preference but my dates did not work with any LoB departures in Palau, which is why I was relegated to land. Booked my flight to Hurghada tonight and am doing BDE.

Agreed, and that would be my preference but my dates did not work with any LoB departures in Palau, which is why I was relegated to land. Booked my flight to Hurghada tonight and am doing BDE.
Have a nice one.

Just to play devils advocate - while I myself would do LOB in Palau (have twice), I’ve seen comments from a decent number of folks who like the land based option and enjoy the pretty boat rides.

Liveaboards have set schedule unfortunately. As he stated on his first post that his vacation days are fixed and not matching any of Palau liveaboard schedule.

I have been on board liveaboard trips to BDE and Palau. I prefer Palau hands down. In fact I’ll be on 2 back-to-back trip to Palau on Palau Aggressor II from December 12 to 26.

I beg to differ. Land-based Palau was most definitely our preference, since the above water scenery from the ride out through the Rock Islands and back every day was highly enjoyable and different every day. After 3 dives every day, it was nice to head back to the resort (PPR), wash up, then enjoy the various restaurants and bars in Koror. And also not being around the same people 24/7 for the week

The last I heard, Palau still hasn't really opened back up for visitors, and with the surge in delta, uncertain when

Well, I got a little ahead of myself by buying my plane ticket before discerning that the LoB I first picked is a confirmed sail. Turns out that I was the only booking. I don't know why the websites list the boats and don't give some indication of how many folks are on them.

Luckily, I got on another boat out of Hurghada but it's the northern route and a bunch of wrecks rather than the BDE route. The boat isn't nearly as nice as the first one I picked, but they did give me the option to switch to a BDE trip if they put one together.

Live and learn, I suppose but hey, I'm still going diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom