Beach diving with a scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadairiii

Contributor
Reaction score
Only way to dive, my buddy and I did a late afternoon/early evening lobster dive from the beach (Ft Lauderdale). 100 minutes of bottom time, traveled over 2.5 miles, and over 1/2 mile from shore. 7 keepers and came up within minimum gas requirements. Our SAC rates were under .4. Better yet, we surfaced exactly were we left from! (that was my buddy's doing)

If you are looking to extend your diving, get a scooter!
Friday Scooter.jpg

Only way to dive, my buddy and I did a late afternoon/early evening lobster dive from the beach (Ft Lauderdale). 100 minutes of bottom time, traveled over 2.5 miles, and over 1/2 mile from shore. 7 keepers and came up within minimum gas requirements. Our SAC rates were under .4. Better yet, we surfaced exactly were we left from! (that was my buddy's doing)

If you are looking to extend your diving, get a scooter!View attachment 682535

Do you worry about your scooter failing while your are far away from exit point? What plans do you have to handle this situation?

Do you worry about your scooter failing while your are far away from exit point? What plans do you have to handle this situation?

Understandable question. Should one of them fail we would just stow that scooter and tow in. Both of our scooters have over 3 hour burn time at full speed and both can easily tow another diver. Should both fail, both my buddy and I are master swimmers, we have both swam over 6 mile distance races in open water, so we would swim in. At the start of that dive my battery was 100% charged, after 100 min almost constantly on the trigger, and towing the float, the battery was at 75%.

You dont do this dive if you cant swim.

Right on. Proper dive.

I call BS...I didn't lobsters anywhere in the picture! :wink: In all seriousness, I've heard good things about doing that dive on a scooter, need to try it!

Understandable question. Should one of them fail we would just stow that scooter and tow in. Both of our scooters have over 3 hour burn time at full speed and both can easily tow another diver. Should both fail, both my buddy and I are master swimmers, we have both swam over 6 mile distance races in open water, so we would swim in. At the start of that dive my battery was 100% charged, after 100 min almost constantly on the trigger, and towing the float, the battery was at 75%.

You dont do this dive if you cant swim.
Sounds reasonably safe to me. If both failed and you swam back in would you be able to locate the tossed machines (I assume you wouldn't be dragging them back on your swim?)?

Yep, swim it in. No drama.

I have been scootering all summer up here in Ontario, almost exclusively in rivers - fantastic! I cover a huge amount of bottom on dives that average :120, in depths averaging 15'. I usually run upstream for the 1st leg, then downstream on the return leg, using the current as backup if I need it ( haven't yet ). Can't wait to take it to Roatan for some extended wall dives!

Back
Top Bottom