Visiting Canada by car. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So now that the border is halfway open, I have an couple upcoming trips to BC that I'll be doing by (car leaving from Oregon). . .

Some of the requirements for entry are self-explanatory: proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test within 72 hours. Also required is a quarantine plan if I develop Covid symptoms.

upload_2021-9-17_12-50-3.png

This seems like an intelligence test. . . if I was so unfortunate to develop Covid symptoms (and good luck distinguishing them from seasonal influenza), I'm going to drive my sick ass South and home. I certainly wouldn't bother the border/customs agents with the state of my health.

What am I missing ?

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-17_12-45-47.png
    upload_2021-9-17_12-45-47.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 89
  • upload_2021-9-17_12-46-30.png
    upload_2021-9-17_12-46-30.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
. . . This seems like an intelligence test. . . if I was so unfortunate to develop Covid symptoms (and good luck distinguishing them from seasonal influenza), I'm going to drive my sick ass South and home. I certainly wouldn't bother the border/customs agents with the state of my health.

I just randomly happened across your post and know nothing about the Canadian border situation, but is there no US requirement of a negative test for entering the US by land, the same way there is for entering by air? If not, that seems like quite the loophole through which SARS-Cov-2 can enter the US.

US citizens and permanent residents crossing into the US is considered essential travel. Only essential travelers entering the country by air require a negative COVID test. There is no such restriction for essential travel crossing into the US by land. Think about it. There is no way this would be functionally and meaningfully possible with all the cross border trucking trade, especially between Ontario and Michigan. As proof of permeability, Michigan had a spring surge of COVID that was not matched by our neighbors in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or Wisconsin. We matched Ontario, which matched the rest of Canada.

US citizens and permanent residents crossing into the US is considered essential travel. Only essential travelers entering the country by air require a negative COVID test. There is no such restriction for essential travel crossing into the US by land. Think about it. There is no way this would be functionally and meaningfully possible with all the cross border trucking trade, especially between Ontario and Michigan. As proof of permeability, Michigan had a spring surge of COVID that was not matched by our neighbors in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or Wisconsin. We matched Ontario, which matched the rest of Canada.
I was asking about non-essential travel from the US to Canada.
Yes, it is allowed by car Find out if you can enter Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Canada.ca
And yes, there is a 72 hour negative Covid test to enter Canada

There is no Covid test required for US citizens to return by car or ship from Canada

I'm still confused about the quarantine plan

CDC does not require travelers to undergo a mandatory federal quarantine. However, CDC recommends that unvaccinated travelers self-quarantine after travel for 7 days with a negative test and for 10 days if they don’t get tested.

You are not alone, we have been trying to figure out the logic behind the policies our government comes up with without any success.

You are not alone, we have been trying to figure out the logic behind the policies our government comes up with without any success.
Try and make sense of the restrictions that the US govt has on Canadians trying to drive and get into the US from Canada . Twice this summer I had to drive to Vancouver from Cranbrook (an 8 hour drive to the west), hire a company to drive my vehicle across from Van to Bellingham and charter a Cessna 172 for a 20minute flight to meet my vehicle in at the Bellingham airport. Because I can fly to the US but not drive.

Try and make sense of the restrictions that the US govt has on Canadians trying to drive and get into the US from Canada . Twice this summer I had to drive to Vancouver from Cranbrook (an 8 hour drive to the west), hire a company to drive my vehicle across from Van to Bellingham and charter a Cessna 172 for a 20minute flight to meet my vehicle in at the Bellingham airport. Because I can fly to the US but not drive.
OMG

Sounds spendy. I flew from Vancouver to Seattle, picked up a one-way rental at Sea-Tac then drove back to Vancouver once I was done w/ stuff in WA. Not the most convenient, but likely less expensive than your jaunts, and well worth effort.

I was a Mission Crew Commander at the (then) Northeast Air Defense Sector on September 11th 2001. I was a part of the team which reacted to the terrorist attacks. Because of the situation this year at the border, none of the RCAF members who reacted that day could drive to the 20th Anniversary Alumni Reunion. It was not considered "essential travel".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom