Missing snorkeler - Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am reading on a Maui Facebook page that a snorkeler went missing at Molokini on Tuesday Sept. 14. As of now, 9/17, not been found. Just what is posted, but someone said she was a ride along with a dive boat that decided to snorkel. I can't even imagine what this person, and he loved ones, have gone through or are going through

I am reading on a Maui Facebook page that a snorkeler went missing at Molokini on Tuesday Sept. 14. As of now, 9/17, not been found. Just what is posted, but someone said she was a ride along with a dive boat that decided to snorkel. I can't even imagine what this person, and he loved ones, have gone through or are going through
Yikes! I know a lot of the boats that go out to Molokini from Kihei. Did your source indicate which boat it was?

Edit: The sources I was able to find all parrot each other and say she was on a snorkel boat out of Lahaina. But they might have gotten details wrong.

Do you know the name of the boat operator? A good reminder that a satellite communication device is not an overkill for ocean diving Attaching a Garmin inReach Case

Yikes! I know a lot of the boats that go out to Molokini from Kihei. Did your source indicate which boat it was?

Edit: The sources I was able to find all parrot each other and say she was on a snorkel boat out of Lahaina. But they might have gotten details wrong.

No, I looked at a bunch of sites, and all I saw was snorkel charter. Which is different than the facebook post, and either has a good shot of being totally right or totally wrong. It's been three days, not looking good.

ETA if it was out of Lahaina, and was a dive op, that obviously narrows down the potentials

I also checked the HI board here, and didn't see any posts

This claims that they are still looking, day and night. Tomorrow will be four days without drinking water. If she was not wearing a floatation vest, then chances of recovery are not likely.

Search for missing snorkeler continues
Search efforts continued Thursday for a 67-year-old missing snorkeler in the area of the Molokini Crater, fire officials said.

The California woman was reported missing at 11:07 a.m. Tuesday by a snorkel charter boat based out of Lahaina Harbor, fire officials have said.

Maui Fire Department crews have been searching during the day while the U.S. Coast Guard had been searching through the night.

No flotation device, stayed in alone as the other snorkelers went back, boat captain threw her a line w / buoy to hold onto, she lost hold and was swept away....all lost sight of her.
So many errors.

Confirmed by Maui Alert News to be Lahaina Divers

and I can say that I am not surprised

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom