SP PILOT O-RINGS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does not. It's a press fit at manufacture.

Also, the smoothness of the servo pin at right is the key to cracking effort. Think Micromeshing the shaft.

It does not. It's a press fit at manufacture.

Also, the smoothness of the servo pin at right is the key to cracking effort. Think Micromeshing the shaft.
Thanks good to know I appreciate it . I have micromesh so I’ll do that.

I used thin jaw pliers rapped in leather. Actually wasn’t too corroded unscrewed fairly easy. Parts in the pilot valve sure are small. Pilot valve cutaway detail in Savvy, almost looks like the hard seat pulls out. Anyone know?

View attachment 682211

That little black o-ring in your photo is a tricky one to get installed correctly; it is the seat for the pilot valve. The originals were very soft. (Neoprene, maybe) I found some 40 or 50 duro silicone ones that worked fairly well and sent a handful to someone, maybe rsingler.

The main valve seat is the o-ring that is captured in the cap, and if I remember right I had to try a few sizes to get it. It also seals best if it's soft. There was a thread about this several years ago in which I posted about rebuilding mine.

I haven't used mine is years; I have a couple of converted pilots that breathe just about as easily, and are much more consistent and less finicky. Still, anyone who's a regulator nerd like some of us will happily while away the hours working on them.

That little black o-ring in your photo is a tricky one to get installed correctly; it is the seat for the pilot valve. The originals were very soft. (Neoprene, maybe) I found some 40 or 50 duro silicone ones that worked fairly well and sent a handful to someone, maybe rsingler.

The main valve seat is the o-ring that is captured in the cap, and if I remember right I had to try a few sizes to get it. It also seals best if it's soft. There was a thread about this several years ago in which I posted about rebuilding mine.

I haven't used mine is years; I have a couple of converted pilots that breathe just about as easily, and are much more consistent and less finicky. Still, anyone who's a regulator nerd like some of us will happily while away the hours working on them.
Any idea how to remove the cap? It says it’s press fit. I’m not sure how you would replace the soft seat oring.

upload_2021-9-17_10-37-48.jpeg

upload_2021-9-17_10-38-45.jpeg

Can it be “pressed” off and back on? It looks like a possibility but hopefully someone who has done it will let us know.
If memory is correct?, it does simply press off and on. I may have used a small adjustable wrench resting on the cap with jaws open wide enough to clear the body as tool to apply a bit of force and pop off the cap. Pressing the cap back on over the oring took a bit of effort.

If memory is correct?, it does simply press off and on. I may have used a small adjustable wrench resting on the cap with jaws open wide enough to clear the body as tool to apply a bit of force and pop off the cap. Pressing the cap back back on over the oring took a bit of effort.
That’s what it looks like to me and I think it was out of the SP line up before the went to disposable poppets except the converted ones.

Yes, the cap just slides off (with some difficulty).
@Kupu had it right - create a tool by drilling a hole in a firm surface just less than the diameter of the cap. Pressing on the threaded end will cause the ring of the cap to slide off. The poppet will drop thru the hole, leaving the ring and seat behind. The contained oring is the soft seat, and it has probably hardened. Use a little WD-40 on the shaft of the poppet ahead of time.

I think awap made a little tool that basically grabbed the poppet body by two of the air inlet holes, allowing you to pull the cap off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom