Scooter Rental-LONG term

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I just survived a BMW GS1250 hitting most of the Italian passes, so your right, I'll probably kill myself on a scooter:)

Just make sure you bring the Aerostich that you are almost guaranteed to own as a GS rider. :)

I know everyone has different risk tolerances but as someone riding adventure touring bikes for 2 decades now I still don't ride scooters in Coz, because all my gear is at home! You can bet if I ever do the expat thing I'll have a 2 wheeled conveyance of some sort though. You can only go without it for so long...

Just make sure you bring the Aerostich that you are almost guaranteed to own as a GS rider. :)

I know everyone has different risk tolerances but as someone riding adventure touring bikes for 2 decades now I still don't ride scooters in Coz, because all my gear is at home! You can bet if I ever do the expat thing I'll have a 2 wheeled conveyance of some sort though. You can only go without it for so long...
KLIM :wink:

yea, I’m always in either leathers or textile depending on which bike I ride. ATGATT. Wife will be on the back seat, lucky if I get over 5kilometers :)

Many Xpats have scooters on the island....that wont be an issue...

I'm not so sure. We used to have 3 scooters. We got rid of them after deciding that (as people who ride Ducatis stateside) that with the burgeoning number of cars on the island it was just getting too risky. Sure was fun, though. Getting them registered was a pain, and we have Cozumel moto licenses (they issue separate cards there rather than endorsements), a permanent island address, and permanent Mexico residency. Not saying it can't be done on a tourist FMM but it could be tedious. You almost certainly can go 3 months without plates as long as you don't get into a crash that involves police or any monetary claims.

I'd like to rent if at all possible.

But... why?

We bought brand-new scooters for MXN$18,000 or about USD$900 each. We sold them 4 years later for MXN$10,000 each (in like-new cosmetic and operating condition with only a few thousand Km). It ended up costing us USD$100 each per year to ride them. Everything always worked (brakes are really nice to have, as are good tires in the rain).

Previously, we bought an old Honda scooter for USD$90. It already had plates and we never got round to registering it until we'd had it for 2 years. We had to get a new battery for it, but it was in no worse shape than the best rental scooters I've seen. We ended up giving it to a friend who eventually sold it for MXN$2,000.

If I really wanted a scooter on the island for 3 months, I'd find an OK used one to buy and sell it when I left.

Or buy one for your favorite guide that you get to "borrow" when you are on the Island.

All options on the table...easiest is to rent...I got an offer from Ernestos Rentals for $10day for a scooter ?

Anyone heard of them?

Or buy one for your favorite guide that you get to "borrow" when you are on the Island.
Guess who has a van to use when we are there on this basis?

You can buy a brand new scooter for less than $1500usd - to rent for 90 days will cost you well in excess of $2000 and the scooter will be in poor repair with a governor on it so that you cannot exceed 30mph - if you'd prefer to rent than purchase one, that's your choice but you will be throwing money away

I was quoted $10 a day....a far cry from $2000...for 90days.

the scooter will be in poor repair with a governor on it so that you cannot exceed 30mph
The Honda Dios rented by HTL Rentals and Rentadora Isis are in good condition and were able to carry me (a big guy) about 80kph/50mph around the island (fast enough for all of Cozumel). I believe some of the scooters Ernestos has are also Honda Dios, but I don't know their condition or if there are governors on any of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom