My Rix SA-6 Diesel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine are off by more than a hair and so far no problems.

Really? But it's not a huge deal to fix, yeah?

I've pumped for about 15hrs total and never had an issue until now. Just odd that it did it, I would have thought loose belt / misaligned pulley. It doesn't feel loose, but maybe slightly misaligned. It also doesn't help if they were the wrong belts I suppose.

Really? But it's not a huge deal to fix, yeah?

I've pumped for about 15hrs total and never had an issue until now. Just odd that it did it, I would have thought loose belt / misaligned pulley. It doesn't feel loose, but maybe slightly misaligned. It also doesn't help if they were the wrong belts I suppose.
Each time I think I have it aligned it is slightly out after tightening so for now it can stay slightly out.

Figure I'll post my issues with the belts. I had the 2 that flipped over on me. I ordered a new set based off of the manual. One of the new belts came, completely different than what was on there. I never checked the belts except for tension... never thought they'd be the wrong belts. In hindsight maybe I should have known with how protruded from the groove they were. The specs were very close but there are enough differences that they are noticable, especially the ribs.

Bottom one is the newer (correct) belt. I'll try and get a picture next to each other in the groove.

Just passing along my experiences to the guy reading this thinking about buying a compressor.

20210913_163332.jpg

So it looks like there's a good reason why the belts flipped... the wrong ones were practically touching. I should have taken a better look at these, but thankfully no harm no foul.

Sure does have me wonder what else has been rigged though...

3 pictures. 1st is 1 wrong 1 right, 2nd is both wrong (touching), and 3rd is both right (not touching).

Attachments

• 20210915_082952.jpg
    20210915_082952.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210915_083054.jpg
    20210915_083054.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210915_083034.jpg
    20210915_083034.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 80
This thread is kinda all over the place with everyone's suggestions. but I will give my 2 cents.

Maybe to fix you belt problem you need rix brand belts :wink:... seems to be the answer from what I read.:)

Ok, upon further reading it looks like the BSP fittings do not need paste, or ATV. Waiting to hear from August, but should be a machine fit where the washer creates the seal.

If my other fittings leak because of the tape, it's not a big deal to get them apart and use paste. Always learning....

My experience is that bsp threads seize up in aluminum filter housings....
The steel thread rusts because the moisture sits between the aluminum housing and the fitting.
(In hydraulics its fine even preferable...)
Unless you are using SS fittings....
SS may seem to be the answer but is very expensive and can pickup the treads or not seal very well on the jic mate seat..
If I use bsp in an air system I will nicely wrap a bit of teflon tape (white thicker stuff) on the treads (and I like to use a small film of gasket eliminate locktite on top of the tape). Not to seal pressure. (Thats not how bsp works) but to fill the gap and try to prevent water from rusting the fitting
And tearing out the aluminum threads...

Ps if you ever think you have plumbed your system right..... you will come up with something that you want to add or change etc.....

This thread is kinda all over the place with everyone's suggestions. but I will give my 2 cents.

Maybe to fix you belt problem you need rix brand belts :wink:... seems to be the answer from what I read.:)

My experience is that bsp threads seize up in aluminum filter housings....
The steel thread rusts because the moisture sits between the aluminum housing and the fitting.
(In hydraulics its fine even preferable...)
Unless you are using SS fittings....
SS may seem to be the answer but is very expensive and can pickup the treads or not seal very well on the jic mate seat..
If I use bsp in an air system I will nicely wrap a bit of teflon tape (white thicker stuff) on the treads (and I like to use a small film of gasket eliminate locktite on top of the tape). Not to seal pressure. (Thats not how bsp works) but to fill the gap and try to prevent water from rusting the fitting
And tearing out the aluminum threads...

Ps if you ever think you have plumbed your system right..... you will come up with something that you want to add or change etc.....

It is all over the place. It's from someone who's never owned a compressor before!

As far as I know Rix doesn't make belts, but I did get the right part #'s from the manual. I was just sharing my experience with having the wrong belts (from the previous owner) as opposed to the right ones.

If tomorrow I have issues with something else... I'll change directions and post about it:).... best way I know how to "log" my journey for others to read.

As far as I know Rix doesn't make belts, but I did get the right part #'s from the manual.

That was my point.... alot of stuff like that doesn't matter where it comes from and is sourced out, just like rix gauges are probably not made by rix.... someone else makes it ethier for them or it's an off the shelf part with their name on it...

@Rol diy He's got the Rix spec'd belts, not branded as they never have been, but they are Rix Spec'd. Same with the bearings being standard bearings, gauges, etc. it's not like the engineers are stupid enough to actually custom design anything they don't have to.

100% agree on plumbing is never complete. It's like making a custom wiring harness in a classic car or even on a remodel of your house, every time you think you thought of everything yoh smack yourself upside the head and go D'oh!

@Rol diy He's got the Rix spec'd belts, not branded as they never have been, but they are Rix Spec'd. Same with the bearings being standard bearings, gauges, etc. it's not like the engineers are stupid enough to actually custom design anything they don't have to.

100% agree on plumbing is never complete. It's like making a custom wiring harness in a classic car or even on a remodel of your house, every time you think you thought of everything yoh smack yourself upside the head and go D'oh!

I believe I'm on revision 4 or 5 of this compressor and I haven't even owned it a year... and I still have banks bottles to add which are becoming more and more appealing every time I need fills and have to babysit. If I set the bank up I can run the compressor for an ~ hr a day in the morning before my day really gets started and always have air on tap.... it really never ends.

It was a joke... I am a mechanic and know how it works most of the time.... sometimes there is serious price gouging by some companies that like you to think everything is proprietary... and it's not... but you have to have a good idea where to look for same or similar replacements

Back
Top Bottom