Ear Issue/new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend not doing any skin diving/snorkeling until you're cleared by the ENT. It's generally more difficult to equalize on a breath-hold, and the largest relative pressure change is in the first 33 feet/10 meters of water.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you so much! I refused the skin dive as im afraid ill have more damage to my ear. But my ear just wont stop cracking when i swallow like theres some air inside that needed to be out. Its been a month and theres no improvement . I just dont know if its normal

DAN has people on call you can also talk to about concerns such as these, and many medical articles about common issues. Great value for very reasonable price.

It's easy to get caught up in thinking that you 'came all this way', or 'people are waiting', or 'you'll have to pay anyway' ... but, none of that is worth risking injury.
Even the anxiety/worry of possible issues will likely affect your dive. Best to put off diving until feeling 100% IMO.

At first I used to wait too long (5-10ft) to equalize and be too forceful in equalizing causing some ear pain. I later learned to equalize constantly (every ft or so initially) as I went down ... and then it just became easier as I guess my ears adapted. I'm still waiting for the gills to develop.

BTW some crackling is quite normal for me after diving (without pain)
Have fun and good luck.

Thank you i dont have any issues bfore on my discovery dive its my first time and I equalized well, only in my open water dives i had trouble maybe because im quiet new to it and its a repetitive one?

DAN has people on call you can also talk to about concerns such as these, and many medical articles about common issues. Great value for very reasonable price.

It's easy to get caught up in thinking that you 'came all this way', or 'people are waiting', or 'you'll have to pay anyway' ... but, none of that is worth risking injury.
Even the anxiety/worry of possible issues will likely affect your dive. Best to put off diving until feeling 100% IMO.

At first I used to wait too long (5-10ft) to equalize and be too forceful in equalizing causing some ear pain. I later learned to equalize constantly (every ft or so initially) as I went down ... and then it just became easier as I guess my ears adapted. I'm still waiting for the gills to develop.

BTW some crackling is quite normal for me after diving (without pain)
Have fun and good luck.

Thank you i dont have any issues bfore on my discovery dive its my first time and I equalized well, only in my open water dives i had trouble maybe because im quiet new to it and its a repetitive one.
the cracking does not come with any pain its just annoying to me hearing it and sometimes i feel like theres air inside

Thank you i dont have any issues bfore on my discovery dive its my first time and I equalized well, only in my open water dives i had trouble maybe because im quiet new to it and its a repetitive one?
Equalizing isn't something that, once you've done it once, you'll always be able to do without difficulty. I rarely have trouble equalizing, but I apparently had some minor congestion recently (that I didn't even notice before the dive) that caused some difficulty on descent. It was my 300th dive, so not a matter of inexperience. Later as the congestion got worse I was able to "feel" it on the surface. Equalizing should get easier with practice, but there will still be random days when it's harder or impossible. Don't get complacent; remember to descend slowly and stop if you feel pressure, and to equalize early, often, and gently, even if you sometimes get away with being less careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom