Fin basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mergulhador do Delray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If someone would be so kind as to point me to "fin basics" or "fins 101" or just comment, I would appreciate it.

Here's the issue (in my mind). I have been diving in S. Florida this week. Jupiter and West Palm and the currents have at times been rather forceful. Today, for example, the DMs and regulars all commented that the current on one of the dives doesn't get much more powerful than today (off Jupiter - Shark Canyon and a bit south). I had a hell of a time finning into the current. Much more effort it seemed than the others. Part of this is that I am new to this and I am sure that experience counts for a lot. However, when looking at my GoPro footage (it was just on and hanging for the most part - I didn't need to overload myself with more tasks today) I noticed that my fins flex a lot. Like more than 90 degrees. I am not a hydrodynamicist or marine propulsion expert but this just seems wrong and inefficient.

For the record, they are (don't know the exact model) Aqua Lung fins purchased for my OW class.

Is it time to think about new fins that might generate a little more power? What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Well, one thing to consider is that many of us don't try to fin into the current. In strong currents that's just asking for trouble. CO2 buildup, over breathing, leg cramps, etc.
That said, there are some fins that are better in current than others. Although technique does play a role.
I've owned/own probably a dozen pair of fins. My first pair from my OW class were the original Aqualung blades. Still a good fin although no longer in production. Not gimmicky enough for them to continue selling I guess.
Then I went to Hollis F1 Bat fins. I have 2 pair of those. Both the black and the yellow tip. Great fins in current. Neutral in saltwater and just a hair negative in fresh. Which is perfect because I'm usually in a drysuit in fresh.
They are stiff and in the beginning if one is not used to a stiffer fin, take it easy because your legs will most likely let you know that you are overworking. Once you get used to them and build up some leg muscle they are fine.
Most of the time I dive HOG tech fins because they are designed for the conditions I most often dive in. Close environments like wrecks. They were designed for use in wrecks and caves. Stiff and responsive but I would not take them anywhere I expected strong currents. They are short and more for control than power/speed.
Jet fins are also known as good current fins, though for some they are way too stiff.
I know some in the area you dive in use full foot freediving fins. I have a set of MAKO freedive fins and they don't take much to get going. I'd use them in current.

We didn't have much choice about finning into the current. We got dropped off the wreck and had to swim there. I didn't fatigue, but I did huff down quite a bit of air struggling to get to the site.

Type of diving? Well, I am just starting out and caves and penetration aren't in the cards. I'll look inside, but I won't go inside. Otherwise, I am doing your basic South Florida wreck and reef. Trying to get experience and practice the skills I was taught (or they tried to teach in OW and AOW). I reserve 1/2 to 2/3s of every dive to just practicing the basics.

First, find a pool and swim laps in swim fins w/ kickboard. Then try stiff fins.

I would recommend jet fins or that style...
(Some people have a hard time kicking them and in warm water diving might be a bit heavy....)
Also try different kick types.. highly recommend learning to frog kick.
I almost always frog kick... I find a strong fludder kick, lots of work for long periods of time..

Also many people that are not used to currents will not hug the bottom as the swim....
current is so much weaker because of the waters friction along the bottom...
It just takes some practice kicking and working with the currents....

OP, the free dive fins are common in SoFla and the photogs are using them because of the current and the need to push a camera and themselves taking priority over maneuverability and those guys are in pretty good shape to work that large fin. Dealing with current is a skillset that takes a little to master.

Jetfins are great but not for warm water diving, just too heavy, you might look at Mares Avanti Quattros, Deep Six Eddy Fin, Scubapro Seawing Nova. A fairly stiff but not overly stiff blade fin should work. Personally I manage just fine with my camera and Mares Quattros in current including there in Jupiter/Palm Beaches.

N

OP, the free dive fins are common in SoFla and the photogs are using them because of the current and the need to push a camera and themselves taking priority over maneuverability and those guys are in pretty good shape to work that large fin. Dealing with current is a skillset that takes a little to master.

Jetfins are great but not for warm water diving, just too heavy, you might look at Mares Avanti Quattros, Deep Six Eddy Fin, Scubapro Seawing Nova. A fairly stiff but not overly stiff blade fin should work. Personally I manage just fine with my camera and Mares Quattros in current including there in Jupiter/Palm Beaches.

N
Thanks for the information. I wasn't planning o getting the free-dive fins, just looking for advice on what to look for.

Look at what the experienced divers use in that area. Especially the ones who "do things" like spearfisherman and maybe divemasters. I think you will see a large proportion of those divers will choose the long freedive fins. They will help, but don't let anyone feed you any BS: operating in a strong current takes skills, brains, decent fins AND some degree of physical fitness. You need all of them.

Physical fitness is not easily acquired and easily lost. Probably the best way is to swim and train in a pool with the fins you are going to dive with. How many people REALLY are going to make that kind of commitment?

The skill of understand currents, how to pull along the bottom, how to hide from current, look for schools of fish for clues toward the presence of localized areas of strong and weak flow, body positioning and how to modulate your efforts are all important and are going to be acquired only with time - having good mentors helps a lot.

Lastly, good long fins are a big help. As you should understand, the primary goal is to AVOID swimming into currents, but sometimes there is little choice but to power through a rapid descent or to traverse a particular section of reef or wreck. Weak floppy fins are a significant hindrance, especially if you have all the other necessary attributes.

To be honest, if you have at least an average amount of strength, long fins are a very effective and quick and easy means to help a diver toward the goal of operating in a high current environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom