Ear Issue/new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swift and/or big changes in ambient pressure can take place in skin diving. And who knows what is wrong with your ear and how much more is needed to cause permanent damage.
I would not dive.

I asked approval from my Ent if i could do some skin dive limit the ear pressure on my ear and she approved it as she said theres no hole in my ears .. my ears feels fine aside from cracking noises when i swallow

I asked approval from my Ent if i could do some skin dive limit the ear pressure on my ear and she approved it as she said theres no hole in my ears .. my ears feels fine aside from cracking noises when i swallow

Go see Dr. Barbara, she is a diving doctor.

I would recommend not doing any skin diving/snorkeling until you're cleared by the ENT. It's generally more difficult to equalize on a breath-hold, and the largest relative pressure change is in the first 33 feet/10 meters of water.

Best regards,
DDM

No holes. Right. No water will enter the middle ear. Waterborne middle ear infections are then out of the question. That's great.

Your doctor agreed that you can dive if you "limit the ear pressure".
I usually need to equalize at about 10 feet or less. Below that depth the pressure on ear drums would cause increasing pain with depth.
IF there is a problem with your eustachian tubes (those tubes that connect middle ear to your mouth and make equalizing possible; "cracking noises") and you dive, then you risk some damage caused by pressure.

Be very carefull with depth. Pain is a sign to stop.

Divers Alert Network is a great thing. I suggest you become a member, and possibly even get a diving insurance through them. As a diver you need advice from a hyperbaric doctor. This has been suggested already in this thread.

Divers Alert Network is a great thing. I suggest you become a member, and possibly even get a diving insurance through them. As a diver you need advice from a hyperbaric doctor. This has been suggested already in this thread.

Most divers here have DAN insurance and UAE is covered by DAN Europe.

Yeah
No holes. Right. No water will enter the middle ear. Waterborne middle ear infections are then out of the question. That's great.

Your doctor agreed that you can dive if you "limit the ear pressure".
I usually need to equalize at about 10 feet or less. Below that depth the pressure on ear drums would cause increasing pain with depth.
IF there is a problem with your eustachian tubes (those tubes that connect middle ear to your mouth and make equalizing possible; "cracking noises") and you dive, then you risk some damage caused by pressure.

Be very carefull with depth. Pain is a sign to stop.

Yes I went to snorkeling, i refused to do the skin dive as I feel like I had trouble equalizing that morning. I only stayed in the surface tho. After that on my way home I felt relief from cracking noises in my ear but then after a day it went back! So annoying.

Tha
I would recommend not doing any skin diving/snorkeling until you're cleared by the ENT. It's generally more difficult to equalize on a breath-hold, and the largest relative pressure change is in the first 33 feet/10 meters of water.

Best regards,
DDM[/QUOTE

yes i refused the skin dive, but why my ear would not stop cracking when i swallow its been a month tho and still no improvement.

Back
Top Bottom