Best Covid test clinic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several local expats recommend 'Analisis clinicos del Dr Simi' across from the waterworks on 15th Ave. This is about 3 blocks up from Otateas on 15th between Calle 1 and Juarez (chubby smiling mustachioed Dr symbol you see on multiple clinics in town, this location has the actual lab)
I went ths afternoon, $449MXN, nurse was gental on the swab, results printed out in one hour.

Several local expats recommend 'Analisis clinicos del Dr Simi' across from the waterworks on 15th Ave. This is about 3 blocks up from Otateas on 15th between Calle 1 and Juarez (chubby smiling mustachioed Dr symbol you see on multiple clinics in town, this location has the actual lab)
I went ths afternoon, $449MXN, nurse was gental on the swab, results printed out in one hour.
That's the one I mentioned using in post #1.
Who do you like...??

I called then visited Laboratorio de Análisis Clínicos del Dr. Simi, Centro on recommendations I got on FB. 450 Pesos is the best price I could find, and they were convenient. Just be there with your passport before 5pm. On 15 Ave just north of Calle 1, two blocks from the plaza. They got my email address wrong, but I wanted a printout anyway so I went back after an hour and picked that up.

I'd call before going, but I think that their hours are 7am-7pm Mon-Fri, 7am-2pm Saturdays, closed Sundays.​

While waiting I went to a lovely Italian place for a late lunch I always visit as it was close: La cucina italiana at the corner of 15 Ave and Calle 6, 450 meters from the clinic. Menus vary daily, but I had lobster tail, pasta, soup, and salad for 220 Pesos!

They're normally open 12-5pm Mon-Fri, but these days are doing pizzas 12-5pm Saturdays. I'm not sure if Saturday pizzas are delivery only or if they're open for inside seating.
View attachment 679419

Have any board members had recent experience with PCR tests? They are required for my return flight to Canada. I am curious as to turnaround time.

I am currently in Coz. My international's flight out of Cancun departs Sunday, Sept. 19 mid-day. Ideally, I would like to take the PCR test Thursday afternoon so that it is scheduled within the 72-hour window. The best appointment I can get thus far is the International Hospital Friday morning at 7:15. (They only administer PCR tests between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m.)

I have looked at CostaMed's web site and there are sticking points that concern me. For example, test results are emailed in 24 hours, but if you require an English translation, that requires an additional 24 hours.

I like to have a backup plan, but I still need a result prior to my mid-day flight on Sunday. I prefer to have everything wrapped up and results in by Saturday, mid-day.

That is a challenging situation. I haven't checked, but are you sure that the PCR test has to be within 72 hours like the rapid test?
The best appointment I can get thus far is the International Hospital Friday morning at 7:15.
Henry lists four places: COVID Testing in Cozumel

AmeriMed says 24 hours. Costamed will send a tech to your hotel so I wonder if they would do it Thursday afternoon? International seems to be the cheapest.
I have looked at CostaMed's web site and there are sticking points that concern me. For example, test results are emailed in 24 hours, but if you require an English translation, that requires an additional 24 hours.
I think you can work with the Spanish translation.

Gee, those prices are a bit high! I just got a antigen test in Slovenia two days ago for 10€ and my wife got hers in Croatia for 40 Kuna ($6.00 US) with each receiving results in less than 10 minutes.

That is a challenging situation. I haven't checked, but are you sure that the PCR test has to be within 72 hours like the rapid test?

Henry lists four places: COVID Testing in Cozumel

AmeriMed says 24 hours. Costamed will send a tech to your hotel so I wonder if they would do it Thursday afternoon? International seems to be the cheapest.

I think you can work with the Spanish translation.

Yes, the 72-hour window is critical. When I inquired about the test, the date and time when the sample is collected is noted on the report.

I believe the test result must be in English or French (to satisfy Canadian government bureaucrats).

I'm pretty sure I can get a technician to take a sample Thursday afternoon, but then chasing down a "hard copy" of the test result becomes problematic. At least at the International Hospital it's around the corner from my hotel and I should be able to pick up a hard copy on Saturday, fingers crossed.

Gee, those prices are a bit high! I just got a antigen test in Slovenia two days ago for 10€ and my wife got hers in Croatia for 40 Kuna ($6.00 US) with each receiving results in less than 10 minutes.

Yes indeed, the PCR test is not cheap! Prices I have seen in Coz range from 1999 pesos to 2500 pesos.

I got that test in Cozumel for 450 MXN or #22.50 USD, in an hour.

PCR tests are totally different. Medicare pays $120 for those in the US.

Yes, the 72-hour window is critical. When I inquired about the test, the date and time when the sample is collected is noted on the report.

I believe the test result must be in English or French (to satisfy Canadian government bureaucrats).

I'm pretty sure I can get a technician to take a sample Thursday afternoon, but then chasing down a "hard copy" of the test result becomes problematic. At least at the International Hospital it's around the corner from my hotel and I should be able to pick up a hard copy on Saturday, fingers crossed.
All important considerations to verify yourself. :thumb: You might want to phone all four to explore possibilities.

Yes indeed, the PCR test is not cheap! Prices I have seen in Coz range from 1999 pesos to 2500 pesos.
The PCR test were considerably more money. That test wasn’t a requirement.

Back
Top Bottom