Finally Pulled the Trigger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew I wanted to dive, I just wasn't sure if this is something I wanted to pursue "forever" but after a few dives I definitely knew this was for me! sooooo after a couple years and 2 dozen dives on rented gear I decided it was time to get my own gear and yes, this board definitely helped my decision to get my own gear with the different reasons "why" I should invest in my own gear, so thank you everyone. You know prices can be "good" to "oh sh*t" and make you pucker, so I've been hyming and hawing especialy now since "the sky has been falling" BUT the gear I wanted was having a fat sale weeeellllll it really wasn't a "sale" it was more "after this weekend our prices are going to skyrocket" so I said "F" it and pulled the trigger! I got an all ScuboPro set up with Hydros Pro with gen 5 Air2, MK 25 Evo reg, G2 w/ transmitter and the second stage is ScubaPro S620 Ti. I'm 52 and only dive 2-3 times a year (probably more now:) ) so this should last me until I can't dive anymore. They have a few "open pool hours" so we can go in and get used to the new gear. Now that I have the G2 I can take a few classes I've wanted to, Nitrox, deep and wreck (I have done a few shallow wrecks). So short story long, I bought my first gear :callme: I'm really stoked to go and try it out!

**You notice I bolded "so we"? thats because I talked my dive buddy and long time friend to pull the trigger also :cheers: he wasnt to happy about spending the money but he the Me's totally into it also :D
Great gear...I have the Mk25 and 620ti as well...great set up....just saw you got a G2!

I don't see the point of the people that recommend Shearwater Peregrine at all. For non-air integrated dive computer, I don't see why would anyone pay more than what they would pay for the Oceanic Veo 4.0. It is an excellent dive computer and more than $100 less expensive than Peregrine yet has all of the features one needs other than AI and still comes with dual algorithms. You can't beat the price and value of the Oceanic VEO 4.0 dive computer.

https://www.oceanicworldwide.com/product/computers/veo-4-0/?v=c2d75724334c

I don't see the point of the people that recommend Shearwater Peregrine at all. For non-air integrated dive computer, I don't see why would anyone pay more than what they would pay for the Oceanic Veo 4.0.
The most cursory glance shows that it doesn't run Buhlmann GF, but a couple of proprietary algorithms. A quick glance at the manual shows that it will lock out if you make it unhappy. Then we can discuss the superior Shearwater display and customer service reputation.

The most cursory glance shows that it doesn't run Buhlmann GF, but a couple of proprietary algorithms.

We are talking about recreational diving and dive computers? And the algorithms Oceanic has been using forever without issues and give multiple choices.

As far as I know. Why recommend a proprietary algorithm for either recreational or tech when a widely used and understood alternative is available?

As far as I know. Why recommend a proprietary algorithm for either recreational or tech when a widely used and understood alternative is available?

What difference does it make to the recreational diver?? The statement you are making sounds "profound" at face value but has absolutely no use or value from a practical point of view to the recreational diver. At most, it is a marketing gimmick. Incidentally, every dive computer out there has a "proprietary" algorithm since each manufacturer adds their own secrete sauce/fudge factor to the mix. There is no straight Buhlmann model implementation in dive computers, they all add their special touch (as they see adds value to the basic original model) to the basic algorithm including Shearwater and Oceanic/PPS. They ALL do that, no one offers the pure and original Buhlmann algorithm in their DC's without modifications.

What difference does it make to the recreational diver?? The statement you are making sounds "profound" at face value but has absolute no use or value from a practical point of view to the recreational diver. At most, it is a marketing gimmick. Incidentally, every dive computer out there has a "proprietary" algorithm since each manufacturer adds their own secrete sauce/fudge factor to the mix. There is no straight Buhlmann model implementation in dive computers, they all add their special touch to the basic algorithm including Oceanic/PPS.
They added Eric Baker’s Gradient Factor, is that what you mean? Is there a particular modification you are referring to?

I think the major issue is customer service. Shearwater is second to none with customer service. So to pay $100 more for that doesn't seem to be a bad trade off. I have the Shearwater Perdix AI. Wife has the Oceanic ProPlus 4. I bought the Peregrine first but returned it when I wanted AI. I think in a world lately full of crappy customer service I am happy to support those that are bending over backwards for their customers....I put a lot of value on that....

Side note to boltsnap...the 25mm yoke socket came in late last night...I will try it on the regulator and update you!

Congrats man! How’s the Hydros Pro treating you? Love mine and I’m thinking of ditching the integrated weights and using the travel strap.

Definitely go with the travel harness. Basically turns the Hydros into a BPW. I ditched the integrated pockets as soon as I got mine and never looked back. Of course, now that I have a Freedom plate, my kids are going to have to battle it out for the Hydros.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom