What Dive Gear & Accessories Have You REMOVED from Your Kit, or replaced with something different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops. I just got these two. Will put the GoPro selfie stick on the retractible line and the flashlight on the other one
Do you swim along with them dangling underneath you, then reach under for said danglies and point them at things?

How do you stow them when not in use? Retractors are pretty weak cheapo plasticy things and could easily break, whereas bolt snaps and D-rings are a lot stronger.

Full foot fins changed to open heel fins with boots when I started diving in Saudi back in the 80s, 99% of my dives were shore dives in the Red Sea.
Changed to spring straps about 10 years ago on my Mares fins, made a massive difference.
Changed to a long hose about eight years ago and removed my octopus when I started carrying a 13 cu ft pony
Changed the 13 cu ft pony to a 30 cu ft pony / deco / stage seven years ago.
Changed from BCD to BPW seven or eight years ago.

Do you swim along with them dangling underneath you, then reach under for said danglies and point them at things?

How do you stow them when not in use? Retractors are pretty weak cheapo plasticy things and could easily break, whereas bolt snaps and D-rings are a lot stronger.

i just go these two so I haven’t dived with them yet but they won’t dangle much and the attachments to the BCD are pretty strong. The retractable rig is pretty strong and I could have gone with a smaller option they offer.

Hmm.

BFK - In fairness I was pretty sure I wouldn't use it long-term, but it was cool to use for my first year of diving. Replaced with dir (steak) knife and line cutters.

Cheap Chinese light- Still works, I just don't trust it for deeper dives. Replaced with DGX800.

Snorkel - Gave it to a friend interested in scuba

Floppy rec fins - gave them away, replaced with Deep6 Eddy (wet) and Hollis F1lt (dry)

Sidemount Butt Pouch - I much prefer tank-mounted pockets. Having all your accessories in a highly droppable bag doesn't fill me with confidence.

Hmm.

Sidemount Butt Pouch - I much prefer tank-mounted pockets. Having all your accessories in a highly droppable bag doesn't fill me with confidence.

Can you please share pictures? I've been considering ideas for moving the pouch over to the tank, and found the butt-pouch to be a pain in the butt.

I did secure the butt-pouch in a way it's less droppable, but I'm also not a fan of double-enders & the process of clipping/unclipping from those rear rings. I get that the pragmatic idea is that you can squeeze through restrictions, but I'm not doing restriction diving.

Can you please share pictures? I've been considering ideas for moving the pouch over to the tank, and found the butt-pouch to be a pain in the butt.

I did secure the butt-pouch in a way it's less droppable, but I'm also not a fan of double-enders & the process of clipping/unclipping from those rear rings. I get that the pragmatic idea is that you can squeeze through restrictions, but I'm not doing restriction diving.
Sorry for the delay, but here you are.
I learned about it from my tech sidemount instructor Chris Reed. I use a pair of Dive Rite thigh pouches on my tanks. They face inwards and down (close to but not against the body) diving and are very easy to access.
The top buckle strap goes around the tank neck, the elastic thigh strap circles the tank, and the bottom cinch takes a 1" strap mounted under the stainless steel hose clamp. This stabilizes the pocket in all directions. To make the bottom strap I use a foot of 1" webbing and fold it over twice at one end, which I then sew shut with a needle and nylon thread. Nothing fancy or involved, just enough stitches to keep it together. I trim a bit off the open end of the strap after I have it fitted, but you need a few inches of excess tail to cinch the strap to the pocket.

I have 3 sets of sidemount tanks and each one is set up for these pockets. I normally keep my backup mask in one and 2 dsmb's and a spool in the other.

I am sure they're not the best solution for everyone, but for Great Lakes wreck diving they are awesome.

I learned about it from my tech sidemount instructor Chris Reed. I use a pair of Dive Rite thigh pouches on my tanks. They face inwards and down (close to but not against the body) diving and are very easy to access.
The top buckle strap goes around the tank neck, the elastic thigh strap circles the tank, and the bottom cinch takes a 1" strap mounted under the stainless steel hose clamp. This stabilizes the pocket in all directions. To make the bottom strap I use a foot of 1" webbing and fold it over twice at one end, which I then sew shut with a needle and nylon thread. Nothing fancy or involved, just enough stitches to keep it together. I trim a bit off the open end of the strap after I have it fitted, but you need a few inches of excess tail to cinch the strap to the pocket.

I have 3 sets of sidemount tanks and each one is set up for these pockets. I normally keep my backup mask in one and 2 dsmb's and a spool in the other.

I am sure they're not the best solution for everyone, but for Great Lakes wreck diving they are awesome.

Do you feel any detriment on streamlining? In theory the butt pouch should have less impact but I am curious to hear your experience with both options

Do you feel any detriment on streamlining? In theory the butt pouch should have less impact but I am curious to hear your experience with both options
I did not notice any additional drag from the pouches. Someone in a high-flow situation or with a less walrus-like physique may notice more than I would.

My butt pouch did not add noticable drag either, but it did touch the top of my thighs while finning which irritated me. It is a large pouch. I generally try to avoid using equipment that irritates me.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

I should be able to rig up something almost identical fairly quick with what I already have. I suppose the only thing I need to decide is whether I want to keep the pocket & tank-rigging separate or combine them. For various reasons I occasionally rent tanks and have to swap my rigging, and like to keep that process as fast as possible.

Do you typically move the rigging & pockets from one side-mount tank to the next, as you switch tanks? Or just the pockets?

I did not notice any additional drag from the pouches. Someone in a high-flow situation or with a less walrus-like physique may notice more than I would.

My butt pouch did not add noticable drag either, but it did touch the top of my thighs while finning which irritated me. It is a large pouch. I generally try to avoid using equipment that irritates me.
I rarely deal with currents myself. If anything, I often have a giant bag of loot I picked off the bottom of a lake flopping around and creating drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom