New regulator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having SP, Zeagle, Apeks and other brands that I sold I am very biased towards SP. i just like their serviceability and long term parts availability. A good thing is you have many choices and they are really great. I too would recommend to go for a diaphragm reg and for your case mk11 would be more than sufficient. mk17 might be easier to resell later so if the price is not significantly higher I would get it instead. Do not fall into high flow trap of MK25. You will not be feeding 25 hundred divers of the same first stage. I have both 17 and 25 and cannot tell a difference as I cannot tell between those and mk5.
I would go for G260 for the primary and some R for an octo.

I have had an Aqualung Legend for well over 10 years, and I would recommend it in a heartbeat.
It breathes very easily and the mouth piece is incredibly comfortable. (Yes I know that a mouth piece is easy to swap out.)

It is well within your budget at about $950-$1000 CAD or about $800 USD depending on model chosen (Leg3nd or Legend LX Supreme). As others have mentioned, this leaves plenty of room to add on an "octo", an SPG and something like a Shearwater Peregrine.

I vote Peregrine and Apeks.
I love my Apeks regs. Solid all the way around and great for cold water diving.

I would go for the G260 with either Mk19 or 17 if you really want to spend $1,500. I would also get a Shearwater Peregrine and a simple B&G spg and drop the triple gauge analog console like a hot potato.

Or, if you really do not have to have the BEST and prefer a high dollar to performance ratio, I just bought an AL Core Supreme for $325 NIB on eBait, a Core octopus for $179 on Amazon and a Shearwater Peregrine computer for $450 (now $495) and a new 1.5 inch B&P spg for about $60. So, that is just a fuzz over $1,000. I think the Core Supreme MSRP is around $530 or so, not exactly sure but I find them discounted here and there.

When I grow up I hope to afford a Scubapro, in the meantime, technical diving considerations aside where underwater regulator disassembly and overhaul might be a requirement, you will have a hard time beating the AL Core Supreme, rated Superior on the ANSTI tests, for performance to dollars spent, for a name brand product.

But if I wanted to spend the $1,500 then get the G260, the Mk19 and a matching G260 for an octopus/alternate and yes, forget a triple console and get a brass and glass spg. Consoles are like so "that was four days ago man" and actually like two or three decades ago. Consoles dragging and banging across the reef are not cool.

N

I’ll throw in my 2 cents with Deep6.
My regs are great, breath easy, great customer service and were inexpensive too.
I don’t think you can go wrong with any regs mentioned. It’s just a matter of which cool aid you decide to drink.

I ha
Even cheaper Mk11/C370

All three sets in these last posts are superb performers. The G260 is a workhorse that will last a lifetime. The new Mk19 is a Mk17 with a turret for optimal hose routing. Its Intermediate Pressure drop on full purge is only 11psi!!!

Mk17EVO is a Mk19 without the turret. For single tank it's just as good unless you have preferences for your hoses.

Mk11 is a Mk17 without the environmental seal. You don't need a seal for SoCal diving. C370 much more popular in Europe, and is fantastic breather. Lighter weight than G260.

Easy, peasy. Choose what you can afford and all three sets will be good for 30 years.

Aqualung makes great regs. But I think their second stage plastic bits are less durable.
Hollis is being neglected by the corporate owners.
Mares is a service nightmare. Well, not really, but the Scubapro diaphragms are much more robust.

My 2 cents.
I have the Mk11/C370 and I’m very happy with it.

For the spg why not try slightly used ? That’s the only used item I bought and got an incredible deal on a SP console 3 on eBay. Can’t even tell that it was used even once.

1500 USD are a lot of money. This allows to have the best, which certainly is Scubapro, as many others have pointed out.
I suggest a MK17 and two identical G260: I do not like the idea of a sub-par octopus: if you or your buddy need to use it, you want the best performance, as there is some trouble already.
Furthermore, when you will be ready for stepping up to a safer and more reliable setup, using a backmounted compact twin tank or a pair of side-mounted tanks, you will just need to buy a second MK17.
Regarding the SPG I also suggest to get a cheap simple brass SPG and no console, and invest your money in a decent dive computer, such as the Peregrine.

Back
Top Bottom