Drysuit dump valve and shutdowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agreed, I usually only go down about 5-10* or so which I find to be enough to "hike" the tanks up on my back to make it easier, but not so much that I can't continue to move forward and signal while I'm doing it. Doesn't take much.
I’ll give it a try.

i was trying to roll to lower my left arm but that didn’t seem very comfortable.

I was taught to use my dry suit as my primary bouyancy control so closing the drysuit valve is mandatory. When doing left post shutdowns I was taught to use my right hand to close my dry suit exhaust valve and push it slightly out of the way of my forearm while simultaneously preforming the shutdown.

It was the way I learned and it's become muscle memory, no noticeable time difference that I can tell.

As you transition to diving doubles and more technical diving I’d suggest not using the drysuit as your primary inflation anymore. Having that much gas in your suit will eventually lead to a problem as you ascend from the deepest part of your dive to your first stop…just a suggestion.

As you transition to diving doubles and more technical diving I’d suggest not using the drysuit as your primary inflation anymore. Having that much gas in your suit will eventually lead to a problem as you ascend from the deepest part of your dive to your first stop…just a suggestion.

I am new to doubles, I have about 50 dives with them at the moment, and I will be starting ANDP next spring to kick off my tech journey. My instructor has been tech diving for longer than I have been alive and he dives with drysuit as primary bouyancy. I am not 100% devoted to any particular type/style of diving so I keep an open ear for when I come across problems. So far drysuit as primary has worked for me but if I come across issues with this style of diving I will be looking at changing to see if that solves the problems.

I am new to doubles, I have about 50 dives with them at the moment, and I will be starting ANDP next spring to kick off my tech journey. My instructor has been tech diving for longer than I have been alive and he dives with drysuit as primary bouyancy. I am not 100% devoted to any particular type/style of diving so I keep an open ear for when I come across problems. So far drysuit as primary has worked for me but if I come across issues with this style of diving I will be looking at changing to see if that solves the problems.

Just food for thought. The drysuit isn’t really good at venting that much gas rapidly and it has such a huge volume that you can easily get the bubble somewhere you don’t want (as in your feet) and getting into a position where you can’t stop an ascent.

I’m more of a DIR diver and GUE teaches enough air to be comfortable in your drysuit. Talk to different folks and get some opinions.

Red flag.

drysuit isn’t for buoyancy. Your buoyancy compensator is for buoyancy.

You should double check that your instructor really uses the drysuit for buoyancy with a twinset. Twin 12s (aka 100 Ft3 steels) have a 6kg full to empty buoyancy change. If you have 6kg extra gas in a drysuit at the start of the dive it will be very nasty indeed. It does depend on the setup. With CCR or a small single it may be different.

I was taught to use my dry suit as my primary bouyancy control so closing the drysuit valve is mandatory. When doing left post shutdowns I was taught to use my right hand to close my dry suit exhaust valve and push it slightly out of the way of my forearm while simultaneously preforming the shutdown.

It was the way I learned and it's become muscle memory, no noticeable time difference that I can tell.

Too complex, especially if you have a light in your right hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom