Second VIP test after Hydro test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But if this were a real issue shouldn’t all tanks besides scuba tanks require annual inspection and o ring replacement?
I have no idea about other industries but Im sure they have their agreements and best practices . The VIP that scuba shops perform is sort of an agreement to increase the safety of handling and using the gas for scuba divers. Its not a law.

I have no idea about other industries but Im sure they have their agreements and best practices . The VIP that scuba shops perform is sort of an agreement to increase the safety of handling and using the gas for scuba divers. Its not a law.
Any evidence of such? In my area, Fire King of Seattle does all the hydros. I don't think they care what the dive shops do. They fulfill their requirements per government regulations, and that's it.

But if this were a real issue shouldn’t all tanks besides scuba tanks require annual inspection and o ring replacement?

Bingo. All compressed gas cylinders (CO2 tanks for soda fountains/welding/etc) require periodic hydro testing as do ours but do not require an annual visual inspection as ours do. The o-ring will of course be deformed but it's not going to make a difference as long as you don't remove and reinstall the valve without changing the o-ring. Most every o-ring or gasket will do this that has any substantial clamping force between the objects.

As I understood it when I started diving, annual inspections were a dive industry standard. They are not required by DOT but something that was introduced by the dive industry. Even the 6351-T6 alloy tanks only require 5 year testing, per DOT.

I can understand the need for annuals. Tanks that have been run empty and become contaminated can create obvious problems that can be hazardous to the user or the shop doing the fill. I know some shops will require a viz on a tank if they are provided with a tank that has been run empty. I could certainly see some knucklehead taking his empty tank and pumping it to 150 PSI with a shop compressor to avoid this.

Serious/fatal injuries have happened to people filling truck tires to 125 PSI when they let go. Hence the specialized cages for filling tires like these. A SCUBA cylinder to multiple thousands of PSI is often just sitting on the shop floor, maybe in a tank of water, while filling. As the sustained load cracking issues demonstrated with the 6351 alloy tanks, serious injury of persons and property damage from ruptured tanks can happen. So annuals in addition to the 5 year hydros, given what our tanks are subjected to, seem perfectly reasonable.

The CFR regs regarding testing for tanks can be seen here: 49 CFR Subpart C - Qualification, Maintenance and Use of Cylinders

The 180.209-G has provision for visual inspections in lieu of hydro testing, but it's for cylinders used for completely different applications than ours.

Otherwise the visual inspection is conducted as part of the hydro and is not listed as an annual requirement.

yearly visual inspection started mainly due to not so dry fills in early lp72s. if you are getting good fills these days, the yearly visual is a formality. used to be the hydro stamp would be accepted as evidence of a visual for a year, but dive shops can't say no to free money.

To add to the crazy-ness......Your scuba tank contains air which isn't usually flammable,,,,yet has an o-ring & needs an annual inspection.

Your BBQ gas grill tank also has a hydro stamp on it plus an O-ring,,,,,is filled with highly flammable gas under pressure,,,yet no annual inspection required.

Yep,,,that's crazy.

Here in Italy (and I presume in the whole EU) there are no VIPs, nor burst discs.
A new tank needs to be hydroed after 4 years, and then at 2 years intervals.
Usually the valve is serviced at each hydro test, when it is dismounted from the tank.
Most tanks here are 15 liters steel rated for 232 bars. They are substantially aeternal.
Instead the valves are usually double with 2 convertible DIN-yoke posts.
When the tank is used by low-level divers trained by american-style agencies, usually only one first stage is installed. This causes the second post to flood with salt water. In a few months the second post start having problems, and often the valve needs being serviced once a year for this reasons.
On my own old 15 liters tank I always prefer to use two first stages, for added safety and for avoiding to flood the second post.

What do you use to clean the inside of the tank? Do you have a tumbler setup? Or....?
I have a set of wire brushes/whips that I made that work exceedingly well. One is for bottoms and the other for sides. I took them down to my LDS and did a demo on a steel 85 they had. They worked so well that the dive shop begged for them, so I traded the tools for that same steel 85.
I will make another set for myself, and I’m another tank richer!

I have a set of wire brushes/whips that I made that work exceedingly well. One is for bottoms and the other for sides. I took them down to my LDS and did a demo on a steel 85 they had. They worked so well that the dive shop begged for them, so I traded the tools for that same steel 85.
I will make another set for myself, and I’m another tank richer!
Would love to see pics posted. Could be a business venture too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom