Regulator First Stage DIN Dust Cap with O-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At no point did I suggest these had an o-ring I just showed caps that would provide a positive seal against the existing o-ring. Just use these quality caps making sure the reg o-ring is good and there will be no issues. Adding an extra o-ring or garden washer will probably reduce the positive seal that these can provide.

Hummmm, worth a try. It can be a rubber gasket from the faucet?

Yep. It provides a raised flat surface for the DIN o-ring to seal against.

Yep. It provides a raised flat surface for the DIN o-ring to seal against.
The proper caps have that surface already built in, stop screwing with something already designed for the purpose. What next! filling it with silly putty.

The proper caps have that surface already built in, stop screwing with something already designed for the purpose. What next! filling it with silly putty.

Silicone sealant?? Hahhaha

The O ring inside dust caps is just a spare, insects the one on 1st stage gets lost or damaged. They’re not there to seal

Also, for anyone using an AL with ACD 1st stage, if you screw a dust cap down you’ll open the ACD, negating the point of it all

The O ring inside dust caps is just a spare, insects the one on 1st stage gets lost or damaged. They’re not there to seal

That probably is it! Thank you.

Also, for anyone using an AL with ACD 1st stage, if you screw a dust cap down you’ll open the ACD, negating the point of it all

Yup. For my 3 AL 1st stages with ACD I only screw the dust cap down part way. Just enough to protect the threads. The ACD keeps any incidental water out.

If I am going to soak my ALs without them being on a tank, which I try not to do, I do tighten the DIN cap down fully. I believe the seal of the DIN o-ring against the interior lip of the DIN cap is at least as good of a seal if not better than the ACD. I only rely on the ACD to keep incidental splashed water out of the 1st stage. I have no data to support that. It is just my own belief. YMMV.

Are you guys leaving the DIN caps on the fist stage during a dive, is the cap tied to it?

As to the AL ACD, having had ACD on my wife's Legend for years and her abuse of the poor thing, the insides of the first stage are pristine. The AL ACD is VERY effective. I would trust the AL ACD over a cap. I put a piece of 4mm bungee on the cap that came with my new Core Supreme ACD DIN reg and just pull the bungee over the first stage to secure whilst in the bag, it does not open the ACD.

James

Are you guys leaving the DIN caps on the fist stage during a dive, is the cap tied to it?

Nope, not anymore. I remove the DIN cap from the first stage and put it in a mask box and stays in the gear bag dry. I don't have to worry about getting it dry and removing salt water from the inside anymore.

Back
Top Bottom