Decision on ending trip early - ear inflammation - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nquinn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In Roatan now with a flight departing next Saturday (9 days from now).

After 6 dives, my right ear started acting up. Not sure if it was just the number of dives, or if equalization on my last dive wasn't sufficient on a quick descent down during a night dive.

Saw a local clinic who gave me some meds & suggested 7 days no diving due to inflammation of my ears (mostly right ear, little bit in left ear). The doc did say it could be possible that they improve faster and that the 7 days was general guidance. Also need to avoid getting them wet so snorkeling is out as well.

Obviously the safe thing to do is just to cancel trip (I could rebook to leave in 2-3 days), but curious if others have had their ears clear up faster.

Just bail now? Stick it out and see if there's any improvement? I'm guessing at best I'd get 2-3 days more diving if it clears in like 5-6 days. Would need to book Sunday flight by tomorrow or Saturday obviously, so need to make a decision pretty fast. I don't think I'd stick around here for 9 more days if I can't dive or snorkel since there's not a ton more to do on Roatan. Bummed of course since I'm already here, but at least I did get 6 dives in and a cool night dive (string of pearls which was amazing).

I would call it, you need to let them heal.

Same. It is for sure a disappointment, but I wouldn't risk the health of your ears. Take care of your ears so you can come back and dive another day.

I would call it, you need to let them heal.

This is the way I'm strongly leaning if it wasn't obvious from the first post. Just because even if they are "OK" in 5-6 days i feel Iike i'd just end up irritating them again.

Now i’m just wondering how sketchy it will be to fly with them like this in 2-3 days

Now i’m just wondering how sketchy it will be to fly with them like this in 2-3 days
Try to clear them say by pinching the nose and gently increasing the pressure. Do not force it. If they clear there should not be an issue flying. The pressure differential is not that great when flying.

I went through similar ear problem in my early days of diving until a more experienced dive buddy told me to equalize often (like once for every time you descend 2-3 feet depth down to 20-25 feet depth) before you feel the pressure on your ear. Once you feel the pressure, you already over stressing the ear drum. Also make sure your buoyancy is set when you hit the bottom and not going up and down like a yo-yo. After I follow that tip, I have no more ear problem, even after 35+ dives in 10-day liveboard diving trip.

At least you got to see Ostradocds. Special.

I can understand seeking a second opinion from another actual doctor. But seeking a second opinion from ScubaBoard?

I went through similar ear problem in my early days of diving until a more experienced dive buddy told me to equalize often (like once for every time you descend 2-3 feet depth down to 20-25 feet depth) before you feel the pressure on your ear. Once you feel the pressure, you already over stressing the ear drum. Also make sure your buoyancy is set when you hit the bottom and not going up and down like a yo-yo. After I follow that tip, I have no more ear problem, even after 35+ dives in 10-day liveboard diving trip.

Yup, I definitely know to equalize early before even feeling pressure. I was descending pretty rapidly though on this dive, prob let a bit too much air out of my BCD at once and didn't get enough equalization in on the way down. Next time need to more gently deflate and hold myself every few feet. (Was descending without a line).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom