New diver has sore jaw after diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although a SeaCure or other mouldable mouthpiece would probably work they can become a problem if you use primary donate as what may work for you could result in a gagging reflex in the person you are donating to.

I have Aqualung Comfort mouth pieces on all my regs, and adore them

However its personal. My wife hates them, they make her gag. She prefers the longer more traditional type (which I don't get on with)

Moral of the story is mouthpieces are very personal, but simple and cheap enough to change until you find what you like

But yes the OP's son is biting too hard - and needs to have the confidence to relax knowing the reg won't fall out.

I don't know what brand my molded mouthpiece of maybe 13+ years is but I have no desire to dive without it. A few dives ago it fell off and I did the next dive that day using my normal octo. No thank you.

As others have said, try other mouthpieces. I like a stiffer mouthpiece as it feels more stable and don’t need to bite down to keep it stable. I would chew through the old cheapie soft mouthpieces with small wings.

Also, since we are on the topic of mouthpieces, next time you have a chance in a pool or other controlled environment, try breathing off a reg without a mouthpiece. It can be done easily enough, but like any failure drill, it’s something you would like to experience in a low stress controlled environment first. May need to hold the reg with the right hand to keep it in place. Ideally one could just switch to the octo, however, in an emergency he may be the one receiving an octo without a mouthpiece. Now what? No big deal, it’s something he practiced.

Organise a bungee or neoprene neck strap that will hold loosely the reg in his mouth

Back
Top Bottom