Scubapro 94.6 steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And my shop tells me that if they pass hydro they can still be over filled by 10% . So they are wrong too ??
Yes. They are wrong as well. I wouldn't correct them as there is nothing wrong with filling these tanks to 3300 psi. They have most likely lost their plus rating due to lack of manufacturer documentation. Same as steel 72s. It probably doesn't have anything to do with tank integrity.

So my 100 cubic foot tanks that are stamped 3442 how big are they ?? They are not 100 cubic feet ??

They hold 100 cuft, but are not able to get a + rating because of the type of tank which is made under a special permit. On the tank markings you should find an SP xxxx number stamped on the top of the tank.

They have most likely lost their plus rating due to lack of manufacturer documentation.

Faber was/is the only manufacturer of the MP tanks. I have heard that if one sends a polite email to Faber, with all the information off the tank, they can provide an REE for the + rating.

Faber was/is the only manufacturer of the MP tanks. I have heard that if one sends a polite email to Faber, with all the information off the tank, they can provide an REE for the + rating.
Any Fabers are currently available and can be sourced. What you will find, if the number isn't stamped on the tank, the retester isn't going to contact a manufacturer to look up the number so they can stamp a plus on a scuba tank. It isn't worth the time. A dive shop doing in house hydros might, but any commercial facility doesn't care that much about it. Nobody in the commercial world cares. All the tanks get hooked together and filled together to the same pressure. They don't separate some because it is missing the plus sign.
The really heavy 3000 psi 94s like he has were made for scubapro by PST.

The really heavy 3000 psi 94s like he has were made for scubapro by PST.

My error, all the ScubaPro MP tanks I've seen were Fabers, didn't know anyone else made them.

Nobody in the commercial world cares.

No, however with documentation to a shop that does + certify a tank, it is more likely than not having anything. If they don't do +, an REE stamped on the tank won't help.

3442 rated tanks are exemption tanks, they do not get an overfill. They are apprx 100 cf at 3442.
I'm not sure why you are so upset, I wasn't trying to be a dick, just trying to share a bit of knowledge.
My mistake . Those tanks carry an original hydro date of 1981 and 1982 . And I am the original owner as they were bought brand new in those respected years .

And I am not angry . It has just been for 38 and 39 years respectfully I have been referring to my tanks as 94.6 3000 steel tanks . Now why would that matter ?? When I compute my RMV I use 94.6 at 3000psi . When I presented my math that is clearly what I did for that is what I thought I had and I have been doing that for a long long time . But I have a message into Faber and hopefully will know more by tomorrow . Being as old as these tanks are perhaps things have changed over the years . If not unlike the president I can admit if I was ( am ) wrong .

Richard C. Welk iv

And I am not angry . It has just been for 38 and 39 years respectfully I have been referring to my tanks as 94.6 3000 steel tanks . Now why would that matter ?? When I compute my RMV I use 94.6 at 3000psi . When I presented my math that is clearly what I did for that is what I thought I had and I have been doing that for a long long time . But I have a message into Faber and hopefully will know more by tomorrow . Being as old as these tanks are perhaps things have changed over the years . If not unlike the president I can admit if I was ( am ) wrong .

Richard C. Welk iv
Look at the bright side - your RMV is actually better than you thought it was! :)

Richard C. Welk iv
Unfortunately, Faber won't be of any help. Those tanks were made by Pressed Steel Tank corporation. They are no longer in existence.
While I know this is much newer and doesn't show your exact tank, I highlighted where it states that volume is stated at fill pressure, not rated pressure.
upload_2021-9-9_0-3-35.png

Thanks to everyone who has replied . I would ask you to bear with me for a minute as I try to explain . If the crowd is correct here I have no other option then to admit my mistake but please think about this for a minute from my perspective .
Can you even fathom how many times over 40 years these tanks have been hydro d ??
What do you have sir ?? I have two 94.6 3000 psi steel tanks to be hydro d . OK
Can you even imagine how many times they have presented themselves for VIP ??
What do you got ?? I got two 3000 steel 94.6 for annuals . OK
How many times over 40 years have they been filled with gas ??
What do you need ?? I got two 94.6 3000 fill em with 21% . OK
If these tanks could talk .
All the way from Massachusetts to Key West FLA to dive with Capt Billy Deans
What kind of gear are you using today sir ?? I'm using two 94.6 steel 3000s .
OK
How many times have they been on the U853 first on my own boat then with capt Frankie Long on the Argonaut then with Capt Wayne Gordon the Canned Air .
My point is after all those years and after all those encounters nobody ever pulled me aside and said ," Hey Richard just so you know those are not 94.6 at 3000 psi . You've been mislead here ". The man who sold them to me was my mentor and I had no reason to doubt him .
I don't want to beat a dead horse here so let me end with this .

Imagine being told by a person you could trust that this couple was your parents . Over the course of 40 years there were many holidays and birthdays and party's family functions and at every one you introduced this couple as your parents . Nobody ever took you aside and told you any different . Then one day on a public forum you find out they are not your parents .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom