Happy Holiday Homes-Villa Sunset Marina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip next month and trying to decide where to stay. Low cost is a priority, but so is having a good house reef. Does anyone know anything about Villa Sunset Marina, other than the fact that they are very cheap?

can you provide more information? where is Villa Sunset Marina located?

I'm planning a trip next month and trying to decide where to stay. Low cost is a priority, but so is having a good house reef. Does anyone know anything about Villa Sunset Marina, other than the fact that they are very cheap?
Villa Sunset Marina - Belnem Bonaire
The location has a tolerable house reef, but from the photos the access to it is by a not very exciting rock (slippery) winding staircase with no railing on the outside. Any small surf coming in will make the entry/exit tricky.
ocean-access.jpg

You WILL need a rental car, so factor that in. You WILL need to arrange tank rentals and transport, so factor that in.
With "very cheap" as your first priority, you will clearly need to make some compromises!

Jo, it looks like a decent place, though as tursiops said, those stairs will require vigilance. Are you trying to avoid renting a truck? If so, you're charting a difficult course anywhere on Bonaire, and especially in the south end of Belnem. The closest grocery is about 3/4 mile up a road with no sidewalks. The reef off the lodging, approximately Punt Vierkant, is a decent site, but note that because it is just south of Lighthouse Point, it can have mid-to-strong currents while the ocean busies itself with getting around the point. I don't think there's any satisfactory solution without a vehicle, but I see that there is some availability on VRBO throughout October at Sand Dollar, a worthy condo complex on the water with direct access to a Dive Friends operation and the Bari Reef dock ($135/night, and not far from many other good dives), and Bamboo Boonaire, across from Don's, has a deal going which would bring the price down to the same range as Villa Sunset Marina. If I were basing a decision on just house reef, I'd look hard for access to Bari or Cliff.

Jo, it looks like a decent place, though as tursiops said, those stairs will require vigilance. Are you trying to avoid renting a truck? If so, you're charting a difficult course anywhere on Bonaire, and especially in the south end of Belnem. The closest grocery is about 3/4 mile up a road with no sidewalks. The reef off the lodging, approximately Punt Vierkant, is a decent site, but note that because it is just south of Lighthouse Point, it can have mid-to-strong currents while the ocean busies itself with getting around the point. I don't think there's any satisfactory solution without a vehicle, but I see that there is some availability on VRBO throughout October at Sand Dollar, a worthy condo complex on the water with direct access to a Dive Friends operation and the Bari Reef dock ($135/night, and not far from many other good dives), and Bamboo Boonaire, across from Don's, has a deal going which would bring the price down to the same range as Villa Sunset Marina. If I were basing a decision on just house reef, I'd look hard for access to Bari or Cliff.
I'm going to rent a truck. I just wanted to have a house reef for convenient night dives if we don't feel like driving somewhere. What do you think about Black Durgon? I can't get them to reply to emails other than with generic stuff that doesn't address any of my questions.

Villa Sunset Marina - Belnem Bonaire
The location has a tolerable house reef, but from the photos the access to it is by a not very exciting rock (slippery) winding staircase with no railing on the outside. Any small surf coming in will make the entry/exit tricky.
View attachment 680777

You WILL need a rental car, so factor that in. You WILL need to arrange tank rentals and transport, so factor that in.
With "very cheap" as your first priority, you will clearly need to make some compromises!
I'm going to rent a truck. I just wanted to have a house reef for convenient night dives if we don't feel like driving somewhere. What do you think about Black Durgon? I can't get them to reply to emails other than with generic stuff that doesn't address any of my questions.

Black Durgon is on an excellent house reef, one of the three "walls" on Bonaire.
You also might look at the Caribbean Club, the low-end choice from the Buddy Dive group of resorts.
And, I suggest you consider booking through one of the wholesalers like Caradonna, rather than trying to do it all yourself. It doesn't add any cost, and sometimes they have some specials they can offer that are not available directly to you. They make their money by commissions from the resorts, not by charging you more.

What places have access to Bari or Cliff?

What places have access to Bari or Cliff?
Both are open access if you have a truck.
Den Leman is on Bari. the Hamlet Oasis resort is near Cliff.

I don't know much about Black Durgon, but it has quite a mystique. Sand Dollar renters also have access to the Den Laman dock. There is ample parking at the south side of Den Laman which gives easy (24/7) access to Bari, and ample parking at Dive Friends Hamlet Oasis for Cliff, although the gates may be locked before dusk. Although we've never stayed at Sand Dollar or Den Laman, lots of folks swear by both of them, and house reef wise, the Dive Friends dock is outstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom