How do you properly bleed air out of nitrox tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, a very basic beginnings question here, I don’t want to mess up anything. I was wondering what the proper procedure is for bleeding the air out of a nitrox dedicated tank. Is there anything special that needs to be done for bleeding out Nitrox? I know to leave about 500psi in but about how long should a Al80 take to get to 500psi without any moisture issues. Also is there any risk with bleeding a nitrox tank under 40% [like a fire], since it is a hyperoxic mix? Thanks for the help!!

You are over thinking it. Don't worry much about it, just let the shop bleed it down for filling. It will be very loud, but you can bleed it down yourself by just opening the valve. No fire risk unless you are using it to help start a campfire.

Nothing special needed. 40% is about as safe as air, regardless of what CGA and other handwringers say.

No need to worry about moisture - the gas in the tank contains only traces of water vapor so there nothing to condense if you dont go all the way empty.

No, nothing. If I need to bleed air out of a nitrox tank I'm far more concerned about my ears than I am with the tank going boom. The only exception is high O2 mixes used for deco but that is the realm of technical diving (Advanced Nitrox) and not Recreational Nitrox.

You are over thinking it. Don't worry much about it, just let the shop bleed it down for filling. It will be very loud, but you can bleed it down yourself by just opening the valve. No fire risk unless you are using it to help start a campfire.
Definitely am!

Nothing special needed. 40% is about as safe as air, regardless of what CGA and other handwringers say.

No need to worry about moisture - the gas in the tank contains only traces of water vapor so there nothing to condense if you dont go all the way empty.
Awesome, thank you for the help I!

No, nothing. If I need to bleed air out of a nitrox tank I'm far more concerned about my ears than I am with the tank going boom. The only exception is high O2 mixes used for deco but that is the realm of technical diving (Advanced Nitrox) and not Recreational Nitrox.
ok, thank you for the feedback!

Dumb question.... why are we wasting nitrox....
for mixing????? Or diving deeper than the mod???

Back
Top Bottom