SUUNTO Vyper Novo Lite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wear contacts when I dive and prefer a larger face like this one has. I have trouble reading up close.
Someone on Amazon said: "Also due to the super conservative dive table Suunto uses the dive computer locked me out by my second dive on the 1st day."
Is this true?
Any other comments about this comp?
Thanks.

The Suunto recreational dive computers use RGBM algorithm that is considered very conservative algorithm compared with other dive computers in the market that are based on Bühlmann model. Suunto added other constraints in their dive computers that would lock you out of diving for 48 hours if you violate certain constraints. All of this made Suunto's recreational dive computers a pain especially for somebody who is doing several dives per day for several days. Suunto easied the restrictions and issued new version of their algorithm for their upper end dive computers so they are "close" to the ones that use the Bühlmann model. Their basic recreational dive computers are still a pain.

I wear contacts when I dive and prefer a larger face like this one has. I have trouble reading up close.
Someone on Amazon said: "Also due to the super conservative dive table Suunto uses the dive computer locked me out by my second dive on the 1st day."
Is this true?
Any other comments about this comp?
Thanks.

I'm sure it's true it locked them out. It is also true that "recreational" computers will lock you out for missed mandatory decompression.

The part where conservatism comes in is when the optional safety stop becomes a mandatory decompression stop: shorter surface intervals, skipped safety stops, and other factors carry over to the subsequent dives and reduce their no-stop time more than other algorithm would. Whether that'll limit you depends on how you dive.

Suuntu has a pretty conservative algorithm. When I used my original Suuntu, it forced me up earlier than other divers on second and third dives of the day. For the first dive, it was pretty similar to other computers. It will not lock you out unless you ignore the deco limits it sets. The deco limits are pretty easily followed during a dive. You have to ignore them to get locked out. Now if you dive and ignore your computer, getting locked out can happen. But why have a dive computer if you intend to ignore it?

I dive Suuntu now but I typically dive nitrox so deco limits on second and third dives have not been an issue.

I bought one and really like the large face.
I've read the manual a few times and hope this comp works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom