Advice on putting on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for putting on gear: there's no rule that says you have to put on gear standing up. We do that in our OW classes so that our students know how to do it, they have that option

Interesting. I've never even seen that done and it would never occur to me to try it. It there was nothing to place the tank(s) on I would sit on the ground to get into the rig and then stand up in it. I bring along a small folding work bench if I'm going to do a shore dive locally, though.

Interesting. I've never even seen that done and it would never occur to me to try it. It there was nothing to place the tank(s) on I would sit on the ground to get into the rig and then stand up in it. I bring along a small folding work bench if I'm going to do a shore dive locally, though.
Same. I've done the ground thing, table thing, and the finding a flat rock thing. Never the standing thing.

Same. I've done the ground thing, table thing, and the finding a flat rock thing. Never the standing thing.
Mostly the same. I’ve only done the standing thing at one location. That was at an aquarium, and only at one pool.

For the pools in the main complex, we gear up at the bench, then walk to the pools. For the pools in the dolphin complex, it’s a long walk, so the gear is loaded on a cart, then we gear up poolside. At these pools, we just sit on the edge, gear up, and slide in. Only the main turtle habitat is done standing up. The entrance doesn’t allow much room, so standing up is really the best way. Surface crew helps the divers into their gear.

Every single other dive I’ve done had a bench of some kind to help. That includes swimming pools, springs, charter boats, and private boats.

Mostly the same. I’ve only done the standing thing at one location. That was at an aquarium, and only at one pool.

For the pools in the main complex, we gear up at the bench, then walk to the pools. For the pools in the dolphin complex, it’s a long walk, so the gear is loaded on a cart, then we gear up poolside. At these pools, we just sit on the edge, gear up, and slide in. Only the main turtle habitat is done standing up. The entrance doesn’t allow much room, so standing up is really the best way. Surface crew helps the divers into their gear.

Every single other dive I’ve done had a bench of some kind to help. That includes swimming pools, springs, charter boats, and private boats.
Good point. I don't really thinking of the pool as diving anymore, but I suppose standing to gear up there could be a way to go. You could still put on the unit in the water, and fins for that matter too however.
Aquarium-- Hmm, if there's no place to sit that may be the one place you really have to stand to gear up?

The easiest way to put on gear is if there is something you can rest it on. Like a picnic table, bench, or boot of your car (works best with a pickup or wagon). But even with the open boot of a sedan or hatch, you can balance the tank on the edge, then all you need to do is hold it still without having to take the full weight of the tank.

If you're using a BC with integrated weights, keep the weight pockets out until you have your BC on and clipped. Here again it's helpful to have the weight pockets on a bench or in the boot so you don't need to bend or crouch to pick them up off the ground.

As for the hood, I agree they can be uncomfortable. Rentals are often stretched around the edges. My first suggestion is that you get your own. It's a pretty cheap purchase as far as scuba equipment goes, and with your own, you can trim around the face opening to suit your own comfort level.
Have your tank standing upright on a picnic table or gear bench (whichever quarry has) before you get into your BC. Your buddy should do the same. A short AL63 tank would probably be much better for you than the longer AL80.

Where were you certified -Gilboa or White Star? I’m very familiar with both.

I was certified at Gilboa. I’m aiming on heading there before the end of this month to do a dive before it gets too cold. Also, from what I read on their site, their dive season ends in December but the office is closed November and December and I will have to rent my gear so I need to go before the end of this month. I want to dive in the quarry to work on my buoyancy before diving anywhere else.

Are you referring to latching the waist band or the shoulder straps? If you're starting out with the shoulder buckles unfastened, then fastening them while your buddy is holding the tank up to your back, I'd suggest you instead start with the shoulder buckles fastened, and just lengthen the straps enough to get your arms in. Then tug the loose ends to tighten them while your buddy lifts the tank. It can also help to bend forward a little bit to take some of the weight of the tank on your back.

My problem is mainly lifting the tank for my partner while they pull it over their shoulders and buckle their straps, especially if I already have my own gear on. After I have my gear on I do bend forward. It definitely helps take a little of the weight off of my back. Honestly I would much prefer just putting gear on in the water. I’m not sure the reason why we are not supposed to. I do have trouble tightening the waist band as well. I was told to pull the straps to the sides at the same time but for some reason it’s hard for me.

My students will usually wear a 7mm wetsuit with hood for our beach dives. Overheating and sweating while putting on gear can be a real problem, and can get dangerous. My simple solution: after they don their wetsuits I have them jump in the water for 30 seconds, then get back out to put on their gear. Not only is it kind of fun floating around in a thick wetsuit for a brief time, it's also very unlikely they will overheat while putting on gear and wearing a wetsuit soaked in cold water.

As for putting on gear: there's no rule that says you have to put on gear standing up. We do that in our OW classes so that our students know how to do it, they have that option, but I emphasize they should find a way to don their gear that minimizes stress. Sitting on a bench while putting on your gear (or standing in front of a truck bed with gear on the tailgate...) is a reasonable solution.
Today I had a 5mm, 100f air, 88f surface water temp. I made sure to jump in with my wetsuit, and before putting the rest of my gear on. I ended up drinking about 70% of a gallon today while out on the boat.

I made a thread earlier about dive logs and I appreciate everyone’s input!

I very recently received my ow certification. I have not done a dive since then (only two months since I was certified). I plan on doing a few dives pretty soon at one of my local quarries so I can gain a little more experience in diving before I attempt to dive in a different setting (I did my ow dives in a quarry).

During the entire course, I struggled both with putting on my own gear and helping my partner put their gear on. I am very small, 5’2, and I weigh 120 lbs. From what we were taught, it’s better for the smallest person to help the bigger person first so the smaller person doesn’t have their gear on while trying to help the bigger person. We didn’t really stick to this. We just went back and forth. It was very difficult for me to hold up my partners tank while they latched their bcd. My partner was at least a foot taller than me. We were both about the same weight.

I guess my question is: since I am very small, does anyone have any suggestions for putting on gear and helping your buddy put their gear on? By the time we were done getting everything on I was sweating profusely. I was supposed to wear a hood during my ow dives because it was early June and I live in Ohio but the hood was tight in the upper face area and loose in the chin area so I didn’t wear it. The chin piece kept going over my mouth and my upper head just felt constricted. It was what they rented to me. I just chose not to use it.

I greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions that anyone might have for any piece of gear, especially with putting on the bcd and helping my buddy with theirs. It was such a struggle for me to get my gear on and help my buddy and I don’t want this to discourage me from diving!
My suggestion will be: get a buddy that will help you, not a buddy that needs your help.

My problem is mainly lifting the tank for my partner while they pull it over their shoulders and buckle their straps, especially if I already have my own gear on. After I have my gear on I do bend forward. It definitely helps take a little of the weight off of my back. Honestly I would much prefer just putting gear on in the water. I’m not sure the reason why we are not supposed to. I do have trouble tightening the waist band as well. I was told to pull the straps to the sides at the same time but for some reason it’s hard for me.

There are actually no rules for putting your gear on. Just some quick comments:
(1) it is normal to bend forward with your tanks on
(2) no reason to put your gear while standing
(3) if you believe it is easier to put the gear in the water, try it, but you will see it is much harder: indeed, you need to inflate your wing so that the tanks do not sink, but this action will make them float over the water surface, while your body is under the surface...

My advices:
- if you are physically smaller than your partners, try to help them when you haven't the equipment on, and ask them for help when you need to put the tanks on
- try to put on the equipment while sitting

I was certified at Gilboa. I’m aiming on heading there before the end of this month to do a dive before it gets too cold. Also, from what I read on their site, their dive season ends in December but the office is closed November and December and I will have to rent my gear so I need to go before the end of this month. I want to dive in the quarry to work on my buoyancy before diving anywhere else.

Gilboa has stayed open all year long in the past. You must be thinking of White Star for being closed January through April. Renting gear at the quarry isn’t your only option. A dive shop near you could also rent you gear. White Star’s scuba concession is run by a dive shop out of Ann Arbor. The scuba concession is open weekends in the summer and certain weekends in the spring and fall. I bring my own tanks so I don’t worry about fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom