Closed [With leak] Free, but u pay shipping, UTD Signature Series wing, can be used for back or side mount

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You sniped me... :76feet:

Yes please do as I was going to do the same and if that didn't work I was gonna take it back to UTD to see what I could get from them.. lol
Well, if I give up on the project, I'll let you have 2nd dibs.

i was going to say if @boboqa wanted to meet up, i could take a look at the wing and also the freeflowing regs for him. @SlugMug you likely can just make a very careful cut around the perimeter sealing and then glue or sew on an extra strip of cordura to cover it up later. not as neat as resewing the seam, but less work and also makes it easy to access the bladder again in the future.
My current plan is to use a seam-ripper and sewing machine. I have passable sewing equipment & even a few fabrics I bought specifically for scuba. It might even be neat to add a zipper, to make the bladder more accessible, although I don't want to get ahead of myself with too many ideas just yet.

My idea is to first repair the wing, and if that works, I could then use this wing for DIY experiments.

As I attempt the repair, I'll put up pictures so people can follow along.

Received! I'll start a new thread about the repair when I actually have time to look at it in detail.

There appears to be no bladder on the top of the wing, but a bladder on the bottom (by looking through the inflator/dump holes). On the top side, it appears to be just a coating on the inside of the nylon. Adding a zipper is probably not the best idea, unless I open it up from the bottom. It's probably better that I add some temporary removable stiches after my initial repair (if on the bottom-half) to verify it's good, then do a better job once I've verified it holds up to a couple dives. (For anyone worried, I always have redundant bouyancy).

I'll need to scour my collection of random BCDs (I think I have 5 or 6 others) to see if any of them have a compatible inflator hose. If not, this appears to be a nice enough BCD to be worth buying something. Ideally, I want to inflate the BCD, and then get an approximate location of the leak. Once that's determined, then I'll know where to start opening it up from.

Overall, it's in pretty good shape visually.

A couple tiny updates:
  • I checked my BCDs and random BCD-hoses, and found one that's compatible, from a wing I'm currently not using (What's weird is I have a zeagle inflator hose from a BCD I scrapped, which looks like it's the right size, but I'm pretty certain it's threading is different.)
  • The leak appears to be a rather fast leak, on the lower part of the wing, to one side.
When I actually am ready to take it apart, I'll post up a new thread and drop a link here.

Back
Top Bottom