My take on the MK 17 EVO VS MK 19 EVO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish my wife understood that...

Then again, I am basically a dive shop with my stash of gear (that she basically thinks I should sell :fear:)....

I wish my wife understood that...

Then again, I am basically a dive shop with my stash of gear (that she basically thinks I should sell :fear:)....

Did you ever try to explain to the wife that it is better to spend the money on dive gear than on a girlfriend? It is so much cheaper on dive gear :p

Here we go…
He finds the rotating turret more comfortable for him and had other uses for the MK17 perhaps. The OP didn't say that he is replacing the original MK17 just because he wanted a MK19. He actually didn't specify the reasons, he is just presenting what he liked about the MK19 vs. the 17. I find that the video is more about what he liked about the 19 vs. 17 for others who are contemplating to buy a regulator and trying to decide between the 19 and 17, he recommends the 19.
seems to me he was asking the OP a question. :popcorn:

I been looking at these. Even though I just bought a new regulator I may spring for one of these next spring. The OP likes the turret and note that he uses the turret installed UP. I use my MkV turrets up as well. However, it seems at least 50% of scubaboard divers run the turret down which negate the advantage the OP is touting. That is kind of a deciding point to me. With the turret down most of the advantage (?) is negated, so, in such case the Mk17 is the no brainer choice. Plus it is more compact and lighter weight.

The OP is a big fella, I am 5-10, maybe 5-11 (in the morning twenty years ago lol) but I do run my turret first stages up and have never had an issue with them hitting my head. I run my tanks a little lower than most newer divers but thanks to long arms and shoulders that disjoint (ouch) I can reach my valve enough to turn my air on if so needed.

Yes, turret up or turret down, that could be the deciding factor. But, I might would get the 17 due to it being smaller and lighter for travel. This does not seem to be a concern for the OP as he is doing local diving.

BTW, I have a Louisiana Pelican Civil War brass buckle. I found it on my grandfathers farm near a skirmish site. And I wear it often.

James

I have my MK25 up for the same reason.
I can see MK19 in my future…

I use the 5th port for long hose so I would go mk19.
Also good for sidemount.
I have a Mk19 and a Mk25 evo...I also use the 5th port for a long hose so mine is turret down...I use the Mk19 99% of the time....not because there is anything wrong with the Mk25 but when I travel to salt water I find it easier to maintain since I can't pressurize my regs when soaking them

Back
Top Bottom