The one thing I cannot seem to get: Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a bad-fit mask during my cert so one of my two hands was dedicated to holding the skirt down and pinching my nose (instinct to breathe out via nose too strong at first). It was a feelsbad moment when even the 15 year old with my group was 20 feet below me waving up... at least I saw a shark on my cert dive lol.

I'll try to focus next time on equalizing early and I'll see how it goes. My instructor was absolutely centered on soft skills and emergency skills during the cert, and mentioned equalizing as we were about to descend to 15 feet in a pool... I'll work on breaking this bad habit and try to focus on doing it early.

One other thing, what are the general thoughts on FFMs? Are they hard to equalize with? Are they rec or specialty? I was reading up on them and the idea of establishing positive pressure inside to resist flooding did intrigue me. Is it something worth looking in to later on?
Regarding FFM, whichever method you adopt for equalising is the same as half mask, except for nostril closing which is done via a nose block instead of pinching. Positive pressure FFM's won't assist with equalising as the mask surrounds the face but does not encompass the ears, which are still affected by ambient water pressure.

I found I had to swallow very aggressively or blow somewhat hard via Valsalva to get the pressure to go away during my open water boat dives, and eventually I just started ignoring the pressure once I hit 45ft and I couldn't swallow it away.

Probably a bad idea and my ears felt out of whack for a week after 0_0

Then I got covid the week after my ears recovered... oi

No no no

You must equalize before that.
Equalize on the surface, then every breath as you slowly descend. Just keep doing it.

On the surface at home pretend you are on a plane or an elevator and feel the need to equalize. Do that every time that you think of it. It's like exercise for your ears to recognize equalizing when you finally hit the water

No no no

You must equalize before that.
Equalize on the surface, then every breath as you slowly descend. Just keep doing it.

On the surface at home pretend you are on a plane or an elevator and feel the need to equalize. Do that every time that you think of it. It's like exercise for your ears to recognize equalizing when you finally hit the water
Heh I don't fly often, my last trip was almost 4 years ago. I've got some things to try next time I get my feet wet (when I manage to find buddies).

Again as you all have said, it probably isn't AS DIFFICULT as I am making it out to be. I'm confident I can figure it out, but a small part of my issue is I'm very introverted. Heck, aborting a dive due to equalizing issues right when I meet another diver to try out buddying wouldn't be a good start. :p

I think it was @Angelo Farina who recommended in some thread to practice opening your eustachian tubes periodically throughout the day topside, to strengthen the muscle that opens the tube and build muscle memory so you are able to do it easier and easier. Makes sense to me.

I think it was @Angelo Farina who recommended in some thread to practice opening your eustachian tubes periodically throughout the day topside, to strengthen the muscle that opens the tube and build muscle memory so you are able to do it easier and easier. Makes sense to me.
It is not only muscle memory, practicing clearing ear on top side with an otovent will cause eustachian tubes to release surfactants. Surfactants help the e. tubes open up.

Did another boat dive with a surface interval, Valsalva just does not work. At the point I feel the pressure starting to change, it is too late.

I chewed gum on the way to the marina and I was able to perform a hands-free Toynbee around 30ft (for some reason I decided swallowing sea water was better than trying to eject it through the second stage) and freaked myself out with how loud the hiss in my ears was, so I let go of my nose and kept using the technique with no hands. Whoever said to kill an hour trying to stretch out the tubes, you are awesome (and so is gum, apparently)! Getting down to depth is a bit tricky still, but once I get down to the planned depth I can just keep doing hands-free Toynbee as I go over reefs.

Did goof up the buoyancy as well, started a semi-rapid ascent when the bladder wouldn't empty. Caught myself after ascending 15 feet and all was fine. Second dive I was able to perfectly balance my buoyancy and had to make 0 adjustments once I hit depth.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips I've gotten from everyone here. I do see now equalizing is something that will become more natural as I use it more, and finally I'm able to get to depth with only some mild ear pressure discomfort (ascend and try again).

Did another boat dive with a surface interval, Valsalva just does not work. At the point I feel the pressure starting to change, it is too late.

I chewed gum on the way to the marina and I was able to perform a hands-free Toynbee around 30ft (for some reason I decided swallowing sea water was better than trying to eject it through the second stage) and freaked myself out with how loud the hiss in my ears was, so I let go of my nose and kept using the technique with no hands. Whoever said to kill an hour trying to stretch out the tubes, you are awesome (and so is gum, apparently)! Getting down to depth is a bit tricky still, but once I get down to the planned depth I can just keep doing hands-free Toynbee as I go over reefs.

Did goof up the buoyancy as well, started a semi-rapid ascent when the bladder wouldn't empty. Caught myself after ascending 15 feet and all was fine. Second dive I was able to perfectly balance my buoyancy and had to make 0 adjustments once I hit depth.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips I've gotten from everyone here. I do see now equalizing is something that will become more natural as I use it more, and finally I'm able to get to depth with only some mild ear pressure discomfort (ascend and try again).
The hands-free method is called BTV, not Toynbee... And it is my favourite one!
Initially you need to use a lot of muscles, related to swallowing, yawning, etc.. After more practice, you will be able to use only those exact muscles which open the tubes, with no more swallowing, yawning or moving the tongue, the soft palate or the yaw...
Furthermore, learning to control selectively your muscles is useful not only for equalizing, but in general for controlling all your body while diving: proper kicking, careful usage and positioning of your hands, proper trim, controlling your breathing, etc.
It is all about control: diving is a sport which requires some high degree of body control, which in return becomes very useful also outside the water: people with accurate body control get benefit in many other human activities (sex included).

Now I have to go wash my brain with bleach

Now I have to go wash my brain with bleach
Ditto. TMI if you ask me lol.

I can see the idea of control, focusing on breathing allowed me 10 more mins (from 25 to 35) at depth compared to the length of my open water cert dives. Although to be fair, I was diving a garbage Mares reg and now I have Atomic which is astronomically better in my opinion!

FWIW I can "pop" my ears by just breathing out through the nose with a little force, and I typically do it on the way down equalizing both ears and the mask. I've been swimming since I was six and had a lot of practice equalizing, so... what Angelo says: keep practicing, it should get easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom