burping loop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question was because this:

which makes it sound like he thinks you never NEED redundant buoyancy.
.... I think you're being obtuse here.

104s with a wetsuit is a bad idea. You're straight up BONED if the wing fails. You are no longer in control, and you cannot regain control immediately. "Solutions" like redundant wings are not immediate if not hooked up, and present unneeded risk of runaway ascent if you can't instantly determine and correct a failed inflator mechanism.

Big steel tanks require a drysuit. Don't wanna dive a drysuit? Don't use big tanks.

This isn't some davinci code ****. Its pretty straight forward.

.... I think you're being obtuse here.

104s with a wetsuit is a bad idea. You're straight up BONED if the wing fails. You are no longer in control, and you cannot regain control immediately. "Solutions" like redundant wings are not immediate if not hooked up, and present unneeded risk of runaway ascent if you can't instantly determine and correct a failed inflator mechanism.

Big steel tanks require a drysuit. Don't wanna dive a drysuit? Don't use big tanks.

This isn't some davinci code ****. Its pretty straight forward.

I'm not being obtuse (on purpose, anyway).

I have asked about the part I bolded and nobody has addressed. You have only cited dogma. And one anecdotal story of a friend who couldn't disconnect his inflator quickly enough.

I'm trying to understand the reality of having a second wing inflator hooked up.

I know of 2 failure modes for an inflator. One results in a slow leak, which does not create an emergency (for anyone who is remotely paying attention). The other results in a stuck inflator when you press it. That creates an emergency. In that situation, you should know without question which inflator is causing the problem (the one you just used) and be able to disconnect it just as quickly, whether there is a second inflator hooked up elsewhere or not.

I do not think I'm some genius that has just figured out something that has confounded the entire tech community for years. So, I'm asking: What am I missing here? Is there some other failure mode for a wing inflator that I have not yet learned about?

Task loading is the problem. I had a slow leak into my single tank wing last semester during open water dives. It was cold as hell, so I was in a dry suit. It took me THREE DIVES to figure out my wing was leaking. I was too busy dealing with popsicle students to realize that I had to keep dumping out of my wing, but I wasn't adding anything to it. I just thought my buoyancy was out of wack since I had on every undergarment I owned. I didn't actually realize it was leaking until I went to gear up after a surface interval and my wing was completely full and popping off the OPV every once in a while.

One results in a slow leak, which does not create an emergency (for anyone who is remotely paying attention).

But if air is flowing from one wing to the other (auto adding into one, diver dumping out of the other to adjust for buoyancy like I was above). How long would it take to realize there is a problem? How many things would you have to check before you get to checking the piece of equipment you aren't even using? And how much depth have you lost in the meantime? It's one thing to think thorough a problem and it solutions, but when you are task loaded, narked, have your hands full, moving into or out of a stressful portion of the dive, s**t happens and what seemed like such an easy thing before isn't even a thought, let alone a solution.

Same reason why the common solution for CCR loop problems is to bail out. There are probably a handful of other options that would work, assuming you correctly identify the problem, and correctly perform the work around. But there is no reason to do that unless you'll die with out it. Bail out and fix it later.

Then you just have to decide if you need to burp the loop or not :)

Look at that back on topic!

I have asked about the part I bolded and nobody has addressed. You have only cited dogma. And one anecdotal story of a friend who couldn't disconnect his inflator quickly enough.

I'm trying to understand the reality of having a second wing inflator hooked up.

I know of 2 failure modes for an inflator. One results in a slow leak, which does not create an emergency (for anyone who is remotely paying attention). The other results in a stuck inflator when you press it. That creates an emergency. In that situation, you should know without question which inflator is causing the problem (the one you just used) and be able to disconnect it just as quickly, whether there is a second inflator hooked up elsewhere or not.

I do not think I'm some genius that has just figured out something that has confounded the entire tech community for years. So, I'm asking: What am I missing here? Is there some other failure mode for a wing inflator that I have not yet learned about?
You could ask Mike Elkins, John Claypool and their instructor Andre Smith about what can go wrong diving wetsuits with heavy steel tanks. But since they all died together in 1998 when Mike Elkins had BDC issues that would be hard. It seems that lift bags and the other stuff people like to talk about as options were not actually effective when they were stuck on the bottom at 245 feet.

Small comment on stuck wing inflator…. Sitting here commenting on the bleeding obvious; just disconnect it or hold up the dump, is easy.

However, when in the water where your IQ has halved it may be a little more difficult unless you’ve recently practiced this.

Can’t remember the last time I did that. Maybe I’ll give that a go sometime soon.

If you bend the hose over on itself and hold it it will stop leaking and give you time to sort.

If you bend the hose over on itself and hold it it will stop leaking and give you time to sort.
Good idea, except we all streamline and use the shortest hose possible. But maybe necessary, if you can't pop the connection.
Better, I think, to stick your bcd connection and Inflator in warm vinegar/water once every six months. Simple enough, and may be enough to keep you out of trouble if one's not going to service the most failure-prone piece of our kit regularly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom