Bahamas 2 Divers dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps the least informative “news” story ever.

The story may have evolved in repeated retellings from source to whomever, etc, eventually to reporters. It's always difficult to make of it. Another version was published in Spanish in Miami...

Dos buzos fallecieron por descompresión frente a las Bahamas
Excerpting from Google's translation...
“Three men were fishing near Rose Island when two came out of a dive with their catch. As they headed elsewhere, one of the divers collapsed. The captain of the ship gave first aid ” , explained the reporter Jared Higgs through his account on Twitter.

Adding “the other diver realized that his partner might have been suffering from lack of decompression and dove into the water to try to decompress. Moments later, the ship's captain saw him floating in the water. He took his body, took both men to shore where EMS declared them dead . "

So far not enough information to determine cause or preventative measures.

So far not enough information to determine cause or preventative measures.
I doubt that the local diving fishermen can afford computers, CO testers, regulator servicing, or training. It's simply diving and risk.

I doubt that the local diving fishermen can afford computers, CO testers, regulator servicing, or training. It's simply diving and risk.
I was thinking the same thing. The boat should have had pure oxygen onboard but it appears that was probably not the case and may be one reason the second diver tried to recompress in the water (big risk if you don’t have pure oxygen available).

In this boat picture you can see the modified single tank 'hookah' rig with all the yellow hose for TWO divers on the same single main hose. And also modified J-Hooks next to the engine.

While some say tank CO,,,IMHO I'd say arterial gas embolism from a deep bug dive via 2 simultaneous no line air's,, followed by a polaris breath hold surfacing. You can almost always survive being bent,,,, but not A.G.E.

Back
Top Bottom