Breathing styles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just breath normally.

Your body knows what to do, and it knows how to do it efficiently. Mentally trying to out game billions of years of evolved physiology isn’t going to produce a more efficient breathing pattern.

Just breath.

Focus on being smooth, neutral, flat, and deliberate. That will reduce your consumption and your co2 generation. That’s something you can think about and improve.

Yes, I breathe normally and don't think about it. If properly weighted and good buoyancy, one shouldn't have a problem hovering and have to alter their breathing. If I'm consuming too much air I don't care. Almost all of my diving is shallow shore diving and I usually have 800-900 PSI remaining when I get bored and exit.

Your body knows what to do, and it knows how to do it efficiently. Mentally trying to out game billions of years of evolved physiology isn’t going to produce a more efficient breathing pattern.
This is not necessarily the case. There are 2 type of divers, group 1 will respond to increasing co2 by increasing the ventilation (this is what you call normal breathing, your body will regulate), the other group retains the CO2 without increasing the breathing rate. The latter type is prone to co2 related complications. They will not notice that co2 is increasing. Co2 retaining group will have to watch out how they breath. Look up Simon Mitchell for details.

Breathing underwater isn't natural. For a start it is a limited resource, requires a little more effort, drastically affects your buoyancy and stability.

Thus divers will re-learn how to breathe and develop their own techniques to suit them and their experience.

As this is a basic scuba discussion; never hold your breath children. However, the reality is considerably more nuanced, as demonstrated by Steve Martin's video.

This is not necessarily the case. There are 2 type of divers, group 1 will respond to increasing co2 by increasing the ventilation (this is what you call normal breathing, your body will regulate), the other group retains the CO2 without increasing the breathing rate. The latter type is prone to co2 related complications. They will not notice that co2 is increasing. Co2 retaining group will have to watch out how they breath. Look up Simon Mitchell for details.
EXTREME minority.

Co2 is what drives your breathing.

I should note my 11 to 13 l/min is for warm water when relaxed! I'm only just around 75 kg body mass and a keen runner and mountain biker, so i have a very decent aerobic fitness which i suspect helps a lot!

Have a look at this starting from 48:15, test done on 15 subjects:
What do you think is driving their respiration and what evidence do you have to support that idea?

Back
Top Bottom