What to do if you test positive before flying home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not remotely similar to what has been discussed, all of which involved getting a negative test result. In that story, they tested positive and only positive but was able to board the flight anyway.

Oh, I could make a decent case:

1. subject is covd positive.
2. subject got a positive test and rather than seeking medical advice, just kept testing and only presented the negative test..
3. subject posted online about methods to avoid testing positive.
4. subject posted about doing what need done to get home for US healthcare.

That might even get you in trouble in 2 countries....

In Ontario, we get daily updates on the total number of positive cases and then those cases are further broken down into unvaccinated, partially vaccinated and fully vaccinated. We are seeing daily cases of around 500. Of those, typically 80 to 95 are in the fully vaccinated category. I no longer think breakthrough infections are, or should be, categorised as rare.

We are returning at the end of the month. Unfortunately, no direct flights available to Cozumel. So we're doing the bag drag from CUN. This is really the only portion of the trip that has me concerned. I have arranged a private transfer to PDC and bought first class tickets on Ultramar as this may allow us to board early and skip some of the lines. We choose a resort that has a great Covid insurance policy. You pay $4 USD a night for the insurance and if you test positive you pay $10 USD a night for your quarantine. They offer free antigen tests as well. As Canadians, we require the PCR test. I have arranged for our tests to be done on our balcony. Nothing like an ocean view while getting a nasal swab!

We are not bringing our daughter with us as she will not be fully vaccinated in time (just turned 12). She's staying with family. I have ensured that they have no concerns keeping her for a week or two longer should we test positive. We can work remotely (as we did when this whole thing started and we got stuck in Cozumel and PDC for longer than we planned before being able to get home). We are fully insured for any medical or evac situation.

In short, I'm not sure what else I could plan for? I believe that I have all our bases covered.

You could plan for how you might get serious medical care if you or your partner should have a bad reaction.

We choose a resort that has a great Covid insurance policy. You pay $4 USD a night for the insurance and if you test positive you pay $10 USD a night for your quarantine.
Hello Shawn. I have been hesitant to book Coz because of the many hassles/concerns that you raise. I admire and respect your approach in managing these issues. May I ask, please, what resort you have chosen?

Hope you enjoy a wonderful trip!

Thanks brownie! We are staying at Fiesta Americana. We've stayed there many times in the past. The only downside, at the moment, is that their beachside facilities have been temporarily closed (since mid June) due to some sort of environmental violation. This mean no pier pick up and drop off. We're working with our dive op to do water entry / exits rather than taking a taxi to the marina and back (which the resort will pay for during the closure). We've stayed at most of the other southern AIs on the island and find the food at Fiesta (and Explorean) to be so much better.

I’ll have to test prior to boarding in Zagreb for our ride home. I doubt I’ll test +, but if I do, this ain’t such a bad place to be stuck :wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread temporarily closed for cleanup. Some content may be moved to the COVID forum or deleted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom