Cenotes—cavern diving. Safe for AOW diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Th
Do you mean PERCEIVED distance from an opening? As Manatee pointed out, there may be openings the diver doesn't know about. So, while it technically meets the definition of a cavern dive, if the diver doesn't know the exit is available it's a trust-me dive and not really a cavern dive. It kind of reminds me of the point that there are no "caverns" at night because the light from the entrance that would during the day make it fit the definition of a cavern dive is not there; if you personally can't see light, it's not a cavern dive to you.
There are plenty of instances where someone inexperienced might not know the closest exit that is within certification limits, but there are also plenty of times and locations in Yucatan cenotes where you are definitely beyond certification limits (that's if you are even cavern certified, which few are) People with certification or training understand those risks and deviations and can make an educated decision as to wether or not they are comfortable with them. An OW certified diver with 10 dives doesn't know what they don't know.

. . ., but there are also plenty of times and locations in Yucatan cenotes where you are definitely beyond certification limits (that's if you are even cavern certified, which few are)

I have long suspected that of some sites where they do these guided cenote dives, but is it true? Can you name a specific site and state exactly what cavern cert limit it exceeds, such as linear distance from an exit, inability to see light, etc.?

I believe the cavern cert limits are useful for these guided cenote dives whether or not one has a cavern cert.

My understanding of the rules are that you must be in a natural light zone and that you cannot be more than 130 linear ft from the surface, meaning an exit. I honestly don't know how precisely those rules are adhered to. But there are always conditions to consider. My first guided cavern dive 15 years ago or so was in Chac Mool and I remember entering a halocline. So.....there goes the visibility. Maybe we were technically abiding by the limits, but the nature of the dive absolutely turned much more 'technical' and challenging.

Still, the evidence is very strong that the guided cavern dives are about as safe as recreational diving in general, despite what opinions any of us might have. There are many thousands of these dives completed safely every year and the fatality rate is almost nonexistent. Anecdotally, the few cases I've heard of involved serious violations of the standards, usually taking OW divers well into the cave zone.

:) Dos Ojos was my first Cenote. It will either be "wow that was incredible" or "its not really for me". Since Dos Ojos is the bus tour of first time cavern dives for many people - it is a great place to start. Yes you will be in an overhead environment - yes there will be rays of light for you to see an exit if needed. Pick a shop that teaches Cave Diving - not a company or guide that does tours only. Why - because a reputable Cave Instructor should keep you safer than someone who wants to impress you. I use Protec Tulum or Protec Playa. They are the home of XDeep gear. They are a first class shop. Look them up.

Thank you. Dove two last week and posted my thoughts. I appreciate your comments. We used CenoteXperience for all our dives (reef and cenotes). Found them to be fantastic—the dive op.

Thank you. Dove two last week and posted my thoughts. I appreciate your comments. We used CenoteXperience for all our dives (reef and cenotes). Found them to be fantastic—the dive op.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Cenotes. What sites did you go to?

I dove dos ojos twice last week. Very enjoyable and piqued my interest in pursuing a cave course. It turned out that the caves are wayyy more beautiful and interesting than I expected. I've spent a lot of time nerding out about tech and cave diving over the years and knew what I was getting into signing up for a cavern dive. I have a fair amount of open water experience and was comfortable during the dive.

That being said... There were folks in the group that I dove with that were on their 5-6th dive lifetime. The instructor (reputable company that I won't out) had me take up the back of the 5 person group as I had 100's more dives than the three other folks. Barbie line definitely has some areas that I can't imagine are cavern (cave guys would know better than me as there are multiple exits from what I could tell). I took the dives seriously and was constantly aware of where the nearest exit was and what my plan would be if trouble occurred. It didn't feel right that less experienced divers had no idea how unusual it is to dive in an overhead environment and the dangers that are ever-present.

For me, the experience was amazing. I found that I enjoyed the caves immensely and felt comfortable and engaged. These dives will lead to me pursuing proper training to enjoy these spaces in the future. At the end of the day everyone made it out and had a great time. I just couldn't help thinking about what would happen if one of the divers had a panic attack and freaked out. Which would have been totally understandable in a cave on one of your first dives. I know I wasn't ready to do this back then.

Just my 2 cents.

I dove dos ojos twice last week. Very enjoyable and piqued my interest in pursuing a cave course. It turned out that the caves are wayyy more beautiful and interesting than I expected. I've spent a lot of time nerding out about tech and cave diving over the years and knew what I was getting into signing up for a cavern dive. I have a fair amount of open water experience and was comfortable during the dive.

That being said... There were folks in the group that I dove with that were on their 5-6th dive lifetime. The instructor (reputable company that I won't out) had me take up the back of the 5 person group as I had 100's more dives than the three other folks. Barbie line definitely has some areas that I can't imagine are cavern (cave guys would know better than me as there are multiple exits from what I could tell). I took the dives seriously and was constantly aware of where the nearest exit was and what my plan would be if trouble occurred. It didn't feel right that less experienced divers had no idea how unusual it is to dive in an overhead environment and the dangers that are ever-present.

For me, the experience was amazing. I found that I enjoyed the caves immensely and felt comfortable and engaged. These dives will lead to me pursuing proper training to enjoy these spaces in the future. At the end of the day everyone made it out and had a great time. I just couldn't help thinking about what would happen if one of the divers had a panic attack and freaked out. Which would have been totally understandable in a cave on one of your first dives. I know I wasn't ready to do this back then.

Just my 2 cents.
Glad you enjoyed the experience. Welcome to the overhead environment. It only gets better!!

. It didn't feel right that less experienced divers had no idea how unusual it is to dive in an overhead environment and the dangers that are ever-present.

Ignorance is bliss. It's pretty scary sometimes the level of diver they'll allow on cenote tours.

The instructor (reputable company that I won't out) had me take up the back of the 5 person group

4 clients plus guide?

correct, that is the maximum group size per cave instructor allowed for cavern dives in the area. It was literally written on the wall of the visitor center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom