Older guy Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't comment on the drysuit, but as long as you are healthy, get certified. I am 70, got certified on St. John USVI, and have done 92 dives. I would second the suggestion that you go someplace warm to get certified. Going out with Low Key Dive in Cruz Bay, I did all of what would normally have been pool dives in a sandy area in 25 feet of water by a reef. Not only that, I was the only student so I got a lot of personal attention.
I was in Roatan a month ago and there were several in our group who got certified there in the first days, and then had the rest of the week diving with the whole group. The instructor was part of the group. PM me if you want to know more. This instructor takes group trips several times a year and though I didn't take lessons from him, he struck me as being really good.

I have to disagree with some other comments. If you plan to dive locally in cold water then do your training locally or you will find yourself at a disadvantage when you add thick exposure protection. If you only plan to dive in warm water then no problem learning in those conditions.

A few words of advice

1. a drysuit keeps you dry but you will need additional clothing to keep you warm (-->dress according to weather)
2. neoprene drysuits may be slightly warmer, at least near the surface (not compressed) but they are stiffer than trilaminate suits. Personally, i prefer the latter but that's just me. Oh, yes, there are rubber suits, too.
3. in either case you will need technical undergarments and a warm coverall; technical long johns & long sleeved shirt to give you a dry feeling and woolen socks and a warm coverall to keep you warm... Buy these first
4. contact local drysuit divers to learn how much clothing you need to wear under the drysuit
5. put your undergarments on and try the drysuit on
6. you need to be able to sit on your knees comfortably and to touch your back behind your neck. If you cannot, the suit is too small
7. if the legs are too long, you can fold them and use gaitors - a suboptimal solution, which I use all the time (because of money of course)
8. drysuits are expensive but they should last a couple hundred dives (400+) if treated well and serviced regularly. Latex seals need occasional replacement as do zippers. There are legacy zipper-free options in rubber (jacket & trousers rolled watertight) in case you feel more like the historic diver (it's a thing, too, you know).
9. drysuits come either with a fixed hood (which I prefer because they leak less) and no hood at all (comfy in hot weather; don one once ready to dive; this is what I unfortunately got). Both altenatives are good. This is strictly a personal preference thing.
10. Gloves - the epic battle. Some of us use five finger gloves (me), others (me again) prefer three finger gloves, and still others (me) wear dry gloves. Wet gloves are easy, comfy, nice. The three finger version (1+1+3) is warmer and just as dexterous (when did you last time use those thee little fngers and which one is better: three warm or five cold?). Dry gloves are equally warm at ANY depth. They also always leak and it sucks (they are valuable for longer deeper dives in very cold water). Anyway, you will end up owning all of these plus a few hoods and a pair of fins. You can never own too many hats, gloves and shoes :D

Have only had my dry suit for 5 months, but I can honestly say my dry gloves (kubi rings attached to suit) have not leaked once. My under gloves have gotten wet, but it was when I left them out with my other gear between dives.

When I was your age I was getting cave certified, with Trimix and rebreather certs coming later. I'll be 75 next year, with another trip out to Cocos Island and one to Socorros.

Have only had my dry suit for 5 months, but I can honestly say my dry gloves (kubi rings attached to suit) have not leaked once. My under gloves have gotten wet, but it was when I left them out with my other gear between dives.

Was: pun intended :p
  • Sure, I can believe that. Many dry glove systems do work nicely. I have had circular rings too. Things get complicated once you want something more low profile. Something that works with goodman handles and stuff.
  • I have heard many curse the Antares system (get one fibre in between the seal and it leaks; correct me if I am wrong)
  • I chose the latex seal on latex seal system. It is a wonderfull thing when it comes to low profiledness and flexibility. But it's a chore to have it wrinkle free.

I have to disagree with some other comments. If you plan to dive locally in cold water then do your training locally or you will find yourself at a disadvantage when you add thick exposure protection. If you only plan to dive in warm water then no problem learning in those conditions.
Agree. Besides, the only real difference in cold vs. warm water is the big hassle putting a thick wetsuit on & off. If you're properly weighted & in good trim, that's the same. Some like to say it's just SO much harder than warm water diving. I've done both.

Agree. Besides, the only real difference in cold vs. warm water is the big hassle putting a thick wetsuit on & off. If you're properly weighted & in good trim, that's the same. Some like to say it's just SO much harder than warm water diving. I've done both.
I agree. I’ve seen no end of cold water divers get into trouble when diving the tropics. Over weighted, diving too deep, carrying unnecessary equipment, etc. But the biggest thing is overconfidence because of the mindset that cold water divers can dive anywhere.

I am an older guy, started late in life, employment and education. At any rate, I've got the scuba bug and I am not willing to stop until poor health forces me to stop. I have a lot invested financially, scuba gear, time and effort. In a weird sort of way I want buy a used drysuit from my store affiliate as if making additional purchases will somehow ensure I will continue to move forward on my certification.

Ironic Spending money, hoping dreams will become real.

I will refrain from purchasing the drysuit at least until I complete certification.
I am local to you- Cornwall NY and could help you with advise..

Back
Top Bottom