Cenotes—cavern diving. Safe for AOW diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was comfortable but they are definitely trust me dives that don't follow ANY agencies definition of a cavern guide even if they follow the Mexican rules for center tours
How are they different?

The definition of cavern dive in Florida and Mexico are 2 completely different things.

Dos ojos, anjelito and dreamgate. none were cavern dives by padi or nss-cds standards.

they are definitely trust me dives that don't follow ANY agencies definition of a cavern guide even if they follow the Mexican rules for center tours

please explain

If a cavern tour is breaking the rules, I am sure that the line committee can look at it and see if it is. But more than likely it is following the rules, you just don't realize which exit they are basing the 100 foot distance on. I talked about Tajma Ha earlier, if you don't know the cave you wouldn't realize that you are always within at least 100 feet of Sugarbowl or the entrance at all times.

And IMO that is part of the reason why many of the guided dives are trust me dives. It takes several dives to really generate a good cave map in your head. And if you have been away from the cave for a while, a couple more to regain it. But for a trained cave diver they still have the line as a last resort. Open water divers don't have the line awareness instilled into them.

I'm looking at cavern training, and relying on being a fast 100' from the exit along a specific set of turns based on line arrows, with the current exit changing as you swim along, feels very different from swimming 100' back to the obvious light where we came in and away from the obvious dark. But that could just be me and my preferring a separate tank that will get me out slowly if that is the case. Which sounds a lot like a cave exit. Unlike in a panic first dousing our light to see which way to go out. But I do not know these cenotes.

I talked about Tajma Ha earlier, if you don't know the cave you wouldn't realize that you are always within at least 100 feet of Sugarbowl or the entrance at all times.

i'll take your word for it. been to Taj a few times. too dark for me. didn't really enjoy it. but you are right, i would have had no idea the exits were as close as you say.

IMO any dive that takes you beyond your training - or comfort level is a trust me dive. Your first dive in gear was a trust me dive. The only question is, are you comfortable enough to try and are you with someone who is qualified for that dive. For some examples it will require an instructor, and others perhaps a guide or perhaps a buddy. Going in a cavern or overhead environment for the first time will either be - wow this is incredible- or it’s not really for me. Either one is the correct answer for you. My first time was in Dos Ojos and I knew instantly that this was what I was destined to do.

Biggest difference is penetration distance from an opening, but there are other areas where they may push boundaries instead of flat out breaking them like the do with penetration distance
Please be specific. What are the specific rules being violated?

Biggest difference is penetration distance from an opening, but there are other areas where they may push boundaries instead of flat out breaking them like the do with penetration distance

Do you mean PERCEIVED distance from an opening? As Manatee pointed out, there may be openings the diver doesn't know about. So, while it technically meets the definition of a cavern dive, if the diver doesn't know the exit is available it's a trust-me dive and not really a cavern dive. It kind of reminds me of the point that there are no "caverns" at night because the light from the entrance that would during the day make it fit the definition of a cavern dive is not there; if you personally can't see light, it's not a cavern dive to you.

If it’s your first time going into an overhead environment- then it’s a trust me dive. Even if all of the visible exits are within what ever Depth + Distance your highest certification allows for. If your not comfortable enough to try - then don’t go. Stop blaming a country or guides or an instructor. Lots of ocean out there.

Back
Top Bottom