New diver has sore jaw after diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alv0065

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My 14yo son is new diver and after just one or two dives he always says his mouth is super sore and tired. I have a feeling that, him being new, he is just biting down really hard to hold his reg in place.

I've told him to relax, to trust that the mouthpiece will just stay in with minimal pressure, but I was wondering if anyone had any other solutions and advice?

We are suppose to do quite a bit of diving over Labor Day weekend and I want him to be comfortable...

Go get one of the "custom made" mouthpieces.

Basixally a mouthpiexe you boil, put in your (sons) mouth, and the mouthpiece will keep that form.

I think you're probably right about the cause, and he may just need some time and practice before he can relax enough to take your advice. By any chance, though, is he wearing a hood? If so, it's possible that's putting pressure on his jaw, and switching to a bigger size could help.

I second the Comfo-Bite mouthpiece. It sounds like he he's biting down too much and/or clenching his jaw and that mouthpiece will let him relax and still have the regulator stay in place.

A SeaCure mouthpiece will probably help. Also, make sure the hose connection to the first stage is at a port that will not cause it to pull.

This is really common with new divers. Tell his to relax and focus on his breathing. I remember having sore jaws when I started and it was all about tension and chomping down hard for an hour at a time. As he relaxes into diving it will get better and go away.

I like the longer bite mouthpieces that extend to your back teeth. It might help but that is really not the cause of the problem.

This solves the problem for many people:
Aqua Lung Comfo-Bite Mouthpiece Black
This! I have been slowly replacing the mouthpieces on my regs with this mouthpiece (Apeks labled - same stuff) and it makes a lot of difference. I find the regs manufacturers put whatever on their regs oftentimes as they kind of know the users will change them. Same as with pedals and saddles on bikes :)

I’ve been diving for years and I have to use a comfort mouthpiece. I have suspected TMJ, and I believe that is a part of it. Try a new mouthpiece!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom