Ferry luggage scam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm did not know this but seemed like they
Yet another reason why the bag drag is not worth the hassle. I know a direct flight directly into Cozumel may cost more, but I will gladly pay the extra $$$ to not deal with the logistics of the bag drag.

Yes but less flights and longer connections now. Nonstop flight to Cancun and bag drag gets you in much faster in many cases.

And AA is the only choice these days direct from the NE.

No thanks, I'd rather swim! Bag drag works just fine for us.

i have not done the ferry as much as many of you here, but i have done it a number of times. i cannot say i remember ever having to carry any of my own luggage on board. we only bring on our pack sack with the regs in it.
To those who doubt what I say, I suggest the next time you board the ferry you tell them there is scuba equipment in your bag as you try to check it and see how that works out. :)

You could fly to Miami and then take American Eagle (Envoy) to Cozumel.

D8447BF8-06C2-4B54-BFF2-977E0BF4D8BD.png

Hmmm did not know this but seemed like they

Yes but less flights and longer connections now. Nonstop flight to Cancun and bag drag gets you in much faster in many cases.
If I have to choose between a three hour layover in the Houston airport and doing the bag drag from Cancun (and I do), the layover wins every time. Been there, done that, won't be doing it again. YMMV.

It's not a scam or desperate employees, they are just following the rules. We have traveled back and forth many times. They won't check scuba gear. We go dive cenotes and they never check our gear. It is normal for them to ask and not check it. Maybe finally doing what they are supposed to but then people start calling it a scam. Smh
I think they probably don't like handling scuba gear or anything fragile . Probably got blamed for damaging equipment or something. If you have ever seen them tossing bags why would you want them to check your gear. Airlines are no better.

It's not a scam or desperate employees..I love how uninformed idiots always say oh it's a scam when they are just following the rules. Think every Mexican out to scam them. Why travel to Mexico? We have traveled back and forth many times. They won't check scuba gear. We go dive cenotes and they never check our gear. It is normal for them to ask and not check it. Maybe finally doing what they are supposed to but then people start calling it a scam. Smh
I think they probably don't like handling scuba gear or anything fragile . Probably got blamed for damaging equipment or something. If you have ever seen them tossing bags why would you want them to check your gear. Airlines are no better.

I posted this and I’m not uninformed. I had 1 regular wheeled suitcase weighing 47 pounds. I bought the ticket online and it’s in English and doesn’t say anything about any weight or bag rules and does not say anything on their website either. I’ve taken the ferry at least 10 times and this is never come up. They didn’t have a scale and they were just arbitrarily deciding which bags were too heavy.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Mexico or anywhere else, it’s not cool. I don’t care about paying of that was on option but it’s stressful when you don’t speak Spanish and someone is yelling at you that they won’t take your suitcase on board.

You had mentioned this was a weight issue. I can find no mention of numbers of bags or wieght in the published information however I will say that many rules and regs here are not published - gov't or business. And they change with no notice.
I have had no one here complain about baggage numbers or weight. But that only means I didn't hear about it.
We always travelled with a small hand scale. That was for us packing coming back, for the airlines.
I would learn numbers in spanish and you can at least point to it say how many pounds (libras) or even write it on a peice of paper to show. Might give you a leg to stand on (becasue you weighed it).
If that still doesn't work then unpack some to a carryon and try again. If you do that in front of them they may just say go ahead. If not then I would get to the nearsest little shop, buy the cheapest small bag I could find, redistribute and catch the next ferry.
I have found the employees of both ferry companies to be generally decent and helpful. Maybe you found the one guy on a bad day.

I contacted Ultramar on FB messenger after this happened and they said to email customer service. I will report back with the baggage rules when I find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom