Ferry luggage scam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNYC16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took the Ultramar 2pm ferry to Coz today. I handed my suitcase to the luggage handler and he lifted it, said “over 50” and “scuba” and wouldn’t put it onto the boat. It wasn’t overweight and less than 50 pounds and a couple next to me was told only 1 bag per person. We both complained but they still wouldn’t load our bags until we both started to make a scene and one of them asked me if I had scuba gear and I just lied and said it was only clothing and then they finally put my bag on the boat.

I’ve never had someone like this happen and not aware of any baggage rules, seems like someone was trying to make some extra cash?

They never check scuba gear. You have to take it on and be responsible for it yourself. I always just leave mine with the other bags after wrestling it onboard.

Cough it up to desperate employees...have a fun filled trip and dives.

They never check scuba gear. You have to take it on and be responsible for it yourself.

This has not been the case for me. I have never been asked about the contents of my bag; and my bag has always been "checked" (bag is tagged with receipt given to me for retrieval at end of ferry ride).

Cough it up to desperate employees...

Sadly, this might be the case. I am travelling to Coz (via Cancun) in a week's time--will post if anything unusual occurs.

Yet another reason why the bag drag is not worth the hassle. I know a direct flight directly into Cozumel may cost more, but I will gladly pay the extra $$$ to not deal with the logistics of the bag drag.

Yet another reason why the bag drag is not worth the hassle. I know a direct flight directly into Cozumel may cost more, but I will gladly pay the extra $$$ to not deal with the logistics of the bag drag.
Yo tambien. Everyone has their own situation and priorities, but mine are such that even in "normal" times the hassle of the bag drag isn't worth the money saved. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

Indeed, a direct flight into Cozumel is ideal, but that option is not available to me except on a seasonal basis (late fall-early spring). Having said that, it is still possible to fly directly to Cozumel if I connect in the U.S. (Houston, Dallas, Miami, maybe Atlanta) but that entails many more hours of transit, another layer of Immigration/Customs rigamarole, and the hassle of missed connections, wayward luggage.........

Flying directly into Cancun, and doing the bag drag is actually the least circuitous option; saving $$$ is not the driving force in my choice.

They never check scuba gear. You have to take it on and be responsible for it yourself. I always just leave mine with the other bags after wrestling it onboard.

i have not done the ferry as much as many of you here, but i have done it a number of times. i cannot say i remember ever having to carry any of my own luggage on board. we only bring on our pack sack with the regs in it.

I have to say now that Southwest airlines offers connection through Hobby, I like that. It is easy and hasn't had a huge layover as yet. so.... liking it.

Pre-pandemic SWA didnt offer it flying into Cozumel. Still back then the biggest thing was non-stop to Cancun and private van and ferry as SO much faster that flying WEST to Texas and then EAST to Cozumel.

But I am going to have to bag drag going back in September....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom