Flying into San Jose Del Cabo w/Cam gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideways

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard a couple years ago they were gouging UW photographers for camera gear fees. Any updates on this practice?? Thanks.

Yes they are still doing it. Was there in May and they attempted it with me and were successful in extorting another on my boat for $600

Yes they are still doing it. Was there in May and they attempted it with me and were successful in extorting another on my boat for $600
Well that's discouraging. Did you have your gear spread out through your checked luggage? Carry-on? How did they determine the fee?

Well that's discouraging. Did you have your gear spread out through your checked luggage? Carry-on? How did they determine the fee?
My gear was in carryon and personal bag and was just a tg5 with housing, strobe, video light and wide angle lens. They asked if I had any professional camera gear and I answered no (truthful in my opinion, but not in theirs) the gentleman on out boat who got delayed and hit with the $600 (reduced from 1200 after a discussion with aggressor company rep) had a much more serious setup in a pelican case. Apparently the cost is a percentage of retail value, but in reality it's an arbitrary gringo tax

My gear was in carryon and personal bag and was just a tg5 with housing, strobe, video light and wide angle lens. They asked if I had any professional camera gear and I answered no (truthful in my opinion, but not in theirs) the gentleman on out boat who got delayed and hit with the $600 (reduced from 1200 after a discussion with aggressor company rep) had a much more serious setup in a pelican case. Apparently the cost is a percentage of retail value, but in reality it's an arbitrary gringo tax
In your opinion will it be smooth sailing for me with a GoPro and a Halcyon Focus can light? My strategy was to argue that the light isn't photo/video equipment (it isn't), but could see how they might think it is.

Sounds to me that GoPro's are OK.. They might go after your lights though. I will have my GH5 Nauticam housing but am leaving my lights and strobes at home. Luckily the GH5 has great manual white balance. So I might get tagged for my housing and small dome port. From everything I've read one of the keys is to not look like a diver. Non-diver luggage, no dive knapsacks and pelican cases. Then just pray for the green light.

Great reason to dive elsewhere.

Any first person updates on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom