1st scuba cabo, family snorkle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poifromthebag

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been cert for 20 years, all very casual charters.

This will be my first time diving cabo. I'm with my family who is NOT certified, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth them paying to snorkle on the same boat with me.

Since this is a first, and we don't want to spend a long time going far, we'll stick to close by sites that are morning to noon type tours.

1. Probably these sites? Cabo San Lucas Marine Park: Land's End • Pelican Rock • Neptune's Finger • Middle Wall • North Wall
  2. how to transport from hotel? (23 min to the marina from hotel by car)
  3. worth it for the family to snorkle on the same boat?

Most areas around lands end are fairly shallow and would probably provide good snorkeling. I enjoyed the dives, but never snorkeled there so can't say for sure. As for transportation, uber was VERY reasonable for getting around. I was staying in San Jose del Cabo and the average cost was around 12$ to get to Cabo San Lucas

how to transport from hotel? (23 min to the marina from hotel by car)

Can't tell you which ones, but some dive ops have a "small" transportation fee to pick up and drop off customers. Wish I could remember where we snorkeled when we were there but it was pretty good.

1. Probably these sites? Cabo San Lucas Marine Park: Land's End • Pelican Rock • Neptune's Finger • Middle Wall • North Wall
  2. how to transport from hotel? (23 min to the marina from hotel by car)
  3. worth it for the family to snorkle on the same boat?
Those would be the local sites. Boats take snorkelers and divers to these and it's not a problem. You'll have your own DM go with you while you dive. The snorkelers will kick around near by (with their own guide). Lover's beach is near one of the dive sites so it'll be a nice visit for your family. Bring a waterproof camera so they can take snapshots. Sometimes there are pinniped encounters.
I think my friends that snorkel enjoy doing this. I don't snorkel and the few times I tried, I did not enjoy it.

There should be a shuttle to the marina from your hotel/resort. If not, the operator you use might have a connection. Otherwise, uber or a traditional taxi.

if you're on the same boat, then you can knock out the water activities together and then have more together-time to share afterward. Unless you're looking to get away from your family - then just schedule dives in the afternoon and every day too! :)

I've returned from my trip and I'll now respond to myself. Thanks to all for responses!

I did a 2 tank dive with Dive Cabo. (Someone had also recommended Manta, but I was already booked with Dive Cabo). Dive Cabo ran a smooth operation. They said to get their at 8, which I made sure to be there by then... and there were still some people who were 45 min late. It's a little odd to see that all the local citizens/workers are very careful to wear masks fully and properly.... and then go to the dive shop where they either didn't bother or just wore thin neck gators. That being said, I did not get covid from this trip.

I took a taxi from the hotel to town to insure I got there on time; but I didn't need to do this. So I took an Uber back to the hotel, which was about 23 min out and it cost about $14-16.

For this particular trip, I would say it is NOT worth for the family to join me because that either would have limited the sites to go to. And for the sites that we did go to (picked by the DM) they are terrible snorkle sites as they were too deep or/and conditions too rough. Both Dive Cabo and Manta were using the small 26 ft water taxi sized boats with no dry cabin, which are fine but you have to like being on the ocean and ok getting you and your stuff wet.

My spouse ended up not going with me and that was probably the better choice for her... and me.

Other notes:
- the water was incredibly warm. I only needed a shorty and others didn't wear any wetsuit at all
- saw a sand falls. Check. Cool. Once is enough
- fish, eels, lobsters, rays, white tip shark, star fish
- reef was well weathered; obviously a popular site
- our max depth was about 70', made for a nice 45min+ dive.
- surge was like 20-30 feet is some areas.... slow but strong. Fun. Just traverse but don't fight it and we were fine.

Hopefully you got to enjoy the Bisbee's tournament.
it's amazing to see the large catches that are displayed on the marina!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom