How long should a housing hold a vacuum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a vacuum test in a bath tub (without the camera) might be in order.

Yup. That is my next step. It is just taking forever for it to "fail." which I guess is a good thing I'm on 4 hours right now and it's still holding a negative/vacuum. If it stops tonight I'll re-do the test and put it in my rinse tank (sans camera) overnight.

Apologizes for the stupid question but I'm still fairly new to mid-range camera housings. I've always used crappy point and shoots and never bothered with a vacuum port but I recently purchased a Sony A400 with an Ikelite 200DLM/A Underwater Housing and DLM 6" Dome Port.

I installed a Vivid Leak Sentinel V5 in this housing. I noticed unfortunately that my camera seems to be losing vacuum after about ~3-4 hours. I cleaned the main o-ring seal and dome port o-ring but it seems the issue is still persisting. I noticed this and opted not to dive with the camera so now I'm trying to troubleshoot a bit more. I've timed it a couple times but it seems to lose part of the vacuum after 3-4 hours. When I left it overnight there was still a minor vacuum in the housing

My procedure has been to pump a vacuum until the sensor turns green and then I've been doing 3-4 additional pumps after that to ensure a good vacuum. This morning I woke up and checked the vacuum again and it's alternating between red/green so it seems to be slowly losing vacuum.

I assume this is not safe to dive or is a 4 hour vacuum sufficient? I've obviously got a leak somewhere it seems. I really don't feel like flooding my new camera. This also seemed to happen on a dive last winter but thankfully the camera didn't flood (I was in a cave and couldnt really quickly ascend).

I'm going to order a new o-ring face seal and o-ring for the dome port but if that doesnt work I assume I should send the housing in for service? Are there any other less obvious things I should check or tips/tricks?

The housing is less than year old. I've maybe got 15-20 dives with it (mostly in caves and one or two salt water dives) .
A sealed housing should not loose it's vacuum. Otherwise it's leaking.
I don't have your housing but an Ikelite. I create a vacuum, leaving the pump on. If after 30 min there is no change in the negative pressure generated, I take the pump out and go diving.. Even after a day of diving, I cannot peel the back off unless I release the vacuum with the pump reattached and reversing the the negative pressure.

Hope this helps.

I agree with @Akimbo. Anomalies need to be investigated. They may lead you to avoid a more serious problem.

I too can pump my Nauticam NA6400 down the evening before and dive all the next day and it is still green when I get back. If you are pulling the vacuum and the temperature is stable and as you say, you are adding a few pumps past green, well, you have a leak is my guess.

N

I recently pumped my Nauticam down and it stayed green for 2 and a half days before I opened the housing up.

My Aqutica has held it's vacuum for as long as a week. I only open it to change batteries. There seems to be a new vacuum circuit as a CR 2023 battery will last almost a week while flashing it's green is good light every 5 seconds.

If the temperature isn't changing, there should be no change in the internal pressure of the housing unless you have a leak.

I also have an Ikelite housing with the non-electronic vacuum system. If I do any maintenance on my housing (like clean or replace a control) I use the vacuum system and leave it for at least a day before checking back. If I did the maintenance correctly, the pressure doesn't change at all.

agree with others - the housing should hold the vacuum for many hours - at least 12-24h. Otherwise you have some slow leak (check for stuff like hair etc).

Thanks; this was an old thread but I'm not sure if I ever updated it. I cleaned the o-rings for the 20th time, reseated the vacuum port and finally got it to hold a vacuum almost indefinitely (at least 24 hours). I'm guessing cat hair or the fitting was not completely torqued down where the vivid leak sensor was installed.

The other thing I was doing was not pumping enough of a vacuum so the sensor was right on the edge. I know make sure I do another 5 or 6 vacuum pumps after it turns green.

Back
Top Bottom